E85 and leaking injectors

Flyin Brian

Ok, I think I know what I did to cause this but I guess my real question is are my injectors fixable?

I put some 120's in a year or so ago and ended up blowing a headgasket last November. I pulled the motor to work on it. I was planning on putting it back together quickly so I removed the intake manifold and left the injectors and fuel rail in place. I rinsed out the fuel rail with straight gasoline as I know that sitting open with E85 can cause issues (I think I once killed a fuel pressure sender this way). Time passed and I just put the car back together a few days ago. Noticed the rail was losing fuel pressure after key off. Started it and it ran but was backfiring out the exhaust. Key off and rail still did not hold pressure. Pulled plugs and several of them were obviously way rich. Put my 80's back in (which I had carefully cleaned before storage) and it runs fine. Rail holds pressure now. So my 120's are leaking.

Do you think my 120's will clean up or do you think I have ruined them? Opinions appreciated.

Send them and and have them serviced That will tell you for sure

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

I suppose I should send them to Chuck then. For future reference if I am going to have the fuel rail and injectors off the car for an extended period of time is there a simple way to clean them up and possibly something to put on them to prevent this happening again?

I suppose I should send them to Chuck then. For future reference if I am going to have the fuel rail and injectors off the car for an extended period of time is there a simple way to clean them up and possibly something to put on them to prevent this happening again?

In the "FWIW dept": I lube all injs w/ a mix of Marvel Mystery oil and 3 in 1 oil. They are pulsed to be sure the mix goes all the way thru. They are then capped, and put in individual ziploc baggies.
For shop storage, they can be removed from the rail, shaken out, and lubed w/ WD type lube/water dispersant, bagged, and stored in a dry place. If you want, you can pulse w/ a 9v batt. If you have the caps I put on them, you can reuse them, to help exclude moisture.
Most issues are aggravated by leaving old fuel in them, in the open air...Like in a coffee can, at the back of the bench.:bucktooth:
Another issue is to install cleaned injs in an engine, then let it sit for an extended time b4 start up.
Once they are out of the rail, and the reg is off, shoot some carb clean thru the rail, and blow it dry. You can "baggie" it, too. The regulator can get a shot of lube, and be bagged.

Enuf for now.......Every time I mention "bag", I have flashbacks of one of my ex wives!!:jawdrop::D

Thanks Chuck! That is exactly the information I was looking for so I won't make the same mistake again. Please PM me your info for sending them to you to be cleaned/fixed. Hopefully they are not toast.

I sent you a pm as well. I also have a set that needs to be done

I sent you a pm as well. I also have a set that needs to be done

The addy is:
Chuck Leeper
1310 Price Mill Rd
Madison, GA. 30650
Include your personal check, made to me, along w/ a fone #, a return addy.
The cost is $87.00, including return via USPS Priority mail.

Thanks!