E85 Tuned Chip ????

RRev Tim

Has anyone come out with an E85 fuel chip??

We have been playing a lot with E85 lately and have been making some great power.. The cars we are doing are taking timing and boost like race gas. E85 does require about 30% more fuel though, so you need to make sure you have enough fuel system.

Just a question, I would like to try it.

Thanks
Tim

I was just wondering the same thing.

Wonder if a guy could take a chip burned for 30% larger injectors and tune from there?

Or if you had an adjustable chip like a maxeffort you might be able to compensate enough with it...

I have a buddie with a Fast system that just changed over to E85 on his race car!

8-71 blown Big Chevy eng. made 1400HP On race gas went to a bigger Alky Inj. and upgraded to a twin Fuel electric fuel pump set up. He is now running 25psi of boost and 28* Of timming!
Power you ask ???? Went up to 1840hp! thats on a 540cid eng. hes building a 600cid bbc now! Shooting for 2500hp!

E85 is some bad A$$ stuff! he said he could ave never gotten this kind of power out of even C116! and heck it cost 2.90 per gallon verses the C116 at $9 a gallon!

Someone should be able to do it with a chip I would think. You will need the Double pumper fuel pump set up and then you have to see if they will live with e85 since alky eats seals and stuff :/ :cool:

I have sent an Eric an e-mail explaining what I've been doing with the E-85 and so forth. I haven't heard back from him yet but I know he has run it before.

And yes the power is hiding in there, trust me. The damn timing you can use with this stuff is amazing. Also I might give Steve Y a call. I have one of his ME-R setups and I'm thinking it might be a better setup for tuning the E-85.

I wish BRUCE would just take one for the team and figure this stuff. Since he all the resources to fiddle with these types of things, plus the fact he loves to tinker with things. ARe you listening BRUCE?? :D :D

The damn timing you can use with this stuff is amazing.

What matters to the motor is where in the piston motion you get peak pressure. Running more timing with E85 isn't necessarily good or bad, just means it is harder and therefore slower to ignite (which in one sense is kind of the definition of octane rating) or burns slower than gasoline so you need more timing to get back to the same peak pressure vs. tdc point you were at before with gasolline (assuming that was optimized and not octane limited).

I wish BRUCE would just take one for the team and figure this stuff. Since he all the resources to fiddle with these types of things, plus the fact he loves to tinker with things. ARe you listening BRUCE?? :D :D

Unfortunately for all of us Bruce is tuning for a different team now - he passed on a few months ago.

Thanks for your feedback... Well looks like Im going to try out E98 on my GN... I am going to build a PNP harness for a AEM EMS to tune with, then give it a go. I will let everyone know my results.

Thanks,
Tim

What matters to the motor is where in the piston motion you get peak pressure. Running more timing with E85 isn't necessarily good or bad, just means it is harder and therefore slower to ignite (which in one sense is kind of the definition of octane rating) or burns slower than gasoline so you need more timing to get back to the same peak pressure vs. tdc point you were at before with gasolline (assuming that was optimized and not octane limited).

Unfortunately for all of us Bruce is tuning for a different team now - he passed on a few months ago.

Crap that is a huge loss. sorry I haven't been on the boards alot in the last year. :(

As far as the E-85 is concerned, I have found out that it likes lean cruise mode much better than 93. In fact so much so that my gas mileage is about the same as it was using straight 93 , this is with a a 50/50 mix.. but of course with that mix I'm close 99 octane so yeah the car is happier .....more testing will yield more results

I have sent an Eric an e-mail explaining what I've been doing with the E-85 and so forth. I haven't heard back from him yet but I know he has run it before.

And yes the power is hiding in there, trust me. The damn timing you can use with this stuff is amazing. Also I might give Steve Y a call. I have one of his ME-R setups and I'm thinking it might be a better setup for tuning the E-85.

Let us know what Eric says. Thanks.

Let us know what Eric says. Thanks.

Ok Eric is going to make a chip for me using the 83 lb injectors. I'll swap the 83# injectors into the daily driver car. At a later date I will upgrade my ME-R to the wideband version and use E-85 in the GN garage car. :biggrin:

Ok Eric is going to make a chip for me using the 83 lb injectors. I'll swap the 83# injectors into the daily driver car. At a later date I will upgrade my ME-R to the wideband version and use E-85 in the GN garage car. :biggrin:

Nice keep us posted. Did he say anything about using E85?

Nice keep us posted. Did he say anything about using E85?

Yeah Eric has ran E-85 before, last year to be exact and once again he is testing it. From a chip standpoint its just a matter of increasing your duty cycle in all RPM ranges. Of course in most cases you need to upgrade injectors to be safe. Its not rocket science.

Our TurboBuick buddies in Sweden are way ahead for us in tuning for E-85. Some have increased timing across the board 3-5 degrees depneding on their setup, the cooling effect and slow burn rate of E-85 allows them to do it. A great side effect of this is better gas mileage, in some cases as good as gasoline all the while have 104-105 octane in the tank.

Others have claimed better performance using straight E-85 than using race gas, that is very believable to me. More later guys... I plan on opening up an E-85 thread soon for updates as we go along testing this stuff.

This is very interesting, and I remember "the panel of experts" at BG this year indicated that one of the chip burners was working on it..

E85 would be sweet. Any changes needed to the fuel system (material compatibility)?

E85 would be sweet. Any changes needed to the fuel system (material compatibility)?

From everything that I understand and conversing with people that have run the E-85 for years, no major problems have been found that I know of. Having said that, alot of the information about corrosion you hear, etc is being carried over from methanol use. Walbro has been conducting tests which so far are non conclusive.

I will say this. I believe there is a better chance of damage from Ethanol use in a garage queen car than one that is driven daily or even on weekends. Ethanol does attract moisture but it is nothing compared to methanol. I will monitor my car closely and give updates.

E-85

I am also interested in E-85. It is now available close to home so I would like to give it a try.:)
Jeasen

With E-85 and a new chip the car should run cleaner right?

You could smog the car and pass with flying colors?

What would it take for the swap?
A new tank? Lines? Pump? Inj? Chip?

With E-85 and a new chip the car should run cleaner right? YES, most definitely

You could smog the car and pass with flying colors? YES, as long as the tune is right. Its not a slam dunk

What would it take for the swap?
A new tank? Lines? Pump? Inj? Chip? Depends on how much head room you have for fuel flow in regards to what you are already using. Yes for a chip and injectors unless yours are plenty big already. If you are worried about corrosion. I have yet to see any data that backs that up in EFI cars in rgards to the tank or lines. I'm running stock, tank and lines. No damage and to be honest I don't expect any