Edelbrock intake from hell....

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
.....not bad at all....but.....In my case it was fresh from the pages of fabrication hell. Yep...I had to do it my way. Bonehead style. :(

First problem: The intake is a square bore, (Holly and Edelbrock carbs). One has to get an adapter if one wants to use a spread bore Q-Jet like me. No biggie I bought one but this brings the height up an additional inch. I hate spending mo' money! :mad:

Since the E-intake is already higher than stock by almost 2-inches, bye-bye stock air canister and K&N filter which was what I had. Settled for a 2" height 9" diameter chrome canister and element. Trial and error to get the proper height. :mad:

The 4.1 intake's OEM throttle bracket had to be grinded down to elongate the bolt down holes for an 1.50" adjustment. The OEM bracket is too far back by 1.50" (This too was a trail and error method that took me much time but it works great and I made it look OEM good). :mad:

After 2-days of more fabrication hell, turkey, turkey sandwiches, turkey soup and more turkey, (GREAT, NOW I HATE TURKEY :rolleyes: ), it paid off. There's no doubt in my mind, the Edelbrock is better then the 4.1 for a street ride like mine. :D

Mark Yuhas..I dont know how you did it. This intake is not a classic bolt on improvement. It took alot of hard work to get it to work. But man does it rip. Especially in second gear. What a kick!! :eek: I like this mod very much. :) :) :)

Originally posted by Freddie's Buick
[BSince the E-intake is already higher than stock by almost 2-inches, bye-bye stock air canister and K&N filter which was what I had. Settled for a 2" height 9" diameter chrome canister and element. Trial and error to get the proper height. :mad:
I wonder if a turbo hood would give you the heigth need for your stock air cleaner?

After 2-days of more fabrication hell, turkey, turkey sandwiches, turkey soup and more turkey, (GREAT, NOW I HATE TURKEY :rolleyes: ), it paid off. There's no doubt in my mind, the Edelbrock is better then the 4.1 for a street ride like mine. :D
LMAO you forgot about turkey SOS

Mark Yuhas..I dont know how you did it. This intake is not a classic bolt on improvement. It took alot of hard work to get it to work. But man does it rip. Especially in second gear. What a kick!! :eek: I like this mod very much. :) :) :)

Freddie it seems that every mod that you do isn't a simple bolt on install :p
Are you still using the non ECM setup?
Jim

glad to hear you got it on.i bought a holley 4160 390cfm carb.i used the quadjet for about a year and i gave it fair chance,but it don't hold a candle to my holley;) .if i remember correctly i bent the acc cable bracket so it would line up.that's the same aircleaner i use.i know what you mean about all the work.heck,when i'm driving my buick i got the elky in the garage doing something to it.then when i get the elky done the buick goes in for some more goodies.:D

Re: Re: Edelbrock intake from hell....

Originally posted by Ttype83
I wonder if a turbo hood would give you the heigth need for your stock air cleaner?
Never ever had a turbo-Buick to see if this is possible. :(
Originally posted by Ttype83
Freddie it seems that every mod that you do isn't a simple bolt on install :p Are you still using the non ECM setup?
Jim
That was an experiment I tried about a year ago, (ECM removal). I concluded that with the ECM set up it was better but in order to fully evaluate I had to remove the transmission, (ECM/TCC), which I was'nt willing to part with. So I restored it to ECM control since.

The duel exhaust set-up and this Edelbrock were the only non-bolt on mods I've done so far. Now if only I could keep my wallet bolted firmly to my jeans. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by RCI2990
i bought a holley 4160 390cfm carb.i used the quadjet for about a year and i gave it fair chance,but it don't hold a candle to my holley;)

Well now....:rolleyes: you ripped out the ECM huh? Let me see.....you have a .252 right? 3.08 rear and a non-ECM transmission. And you think a Holly is better than a Q-Jet......very interesting. It's probably the Holley/Edelbrock combo thing that makes it all fit together.

If I had another 80's G-body I'd try this out too. I saw a two door 1980 Monte that I'd like to buy off a little ole geezer.....but.... kids, house, Christmas, wife...:mad:, wife..:mad: ...wife:mad:

Oh well....:D :) :cool: