You can type here any text you want

edelbrock or other carb...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

231_natural

I'm about to pick up a 4 barrel carb for my new edelbrock intake manifold. I was thinking of buying a new edelbrock 500cfm performer/thunder series carb (not too sure of the differences). I was wondering if anyone has used this carb, and if you guys have any other suggestions.

Make sure to get the tuning kit at the same time so you can get it set up properly. I personally don't like the edelbrock carbs. I've seen to many problems from them so keep your reciept handy.

Make sure to get the tuning kit at the same time so you can get it set up properly. I personally don't like the edelbrock carbs. I've seen to many problems from them so keep your reciept handy.

I have one on a 350 and gas perculates out of the thing when engine is hot.It is the 4th edelbrock carb so far they all do it.Gas boils in the bowl and fuel perculates out of the secondaries,There is always the smell of fuel..

I still prefer a Q-Jet over the others for a street engine and most of the time for street/strip but if you don't know how to set them up get a Holly vac secondary but make sure it's the Q-jet style for better overall use. Small primary and large secondary. It still tunes like a regular Holly though.

How easy are those to find? Do you know where a good place to look is?

thanks

I found one on evilbay for a friend and it cost only $50 with shipping. Do a search under air/fuel systems(?) for Holley and see what you get. Since the change in the motors section it's kinda hard to find things. I ment to say spreadbore and brainfarted. lol

i had many prblems with edelbrock carbs, i think the quality is down the drain now

on my 76 vette went through 3 of them

one was leaking a **** load of gas inside

other one there was a broken spring inside after not even an hour of it being on?

and number 3 had a sticking butterfly weich caused a huge intake backfire and a three foot flame out of the top of it.

i always liked rochesters never had any problems but do they make aftermarket ones? not even a broken spring or gas leak in like 23 years on the other trans am

There is about a 100 different models on ebay. Has anyone ever used a specific model for there buick 231? I'm guessing I would want somewhere around a 390cfm to 450cfm.

Edelbrock used to make a Q-Jet replacement in 800 and 1000 cfm but no longer do it.
As far as a Holley spreadbore model for a replacement you'll want at least 550 cfm but it would be better with a 650. The factory Q-jet is a little larger but a 650 seems to be just about right from my experience.

.....i always liked rochesters never had any problems but do they make aftermarket ones? not even a broken spring or gas leak in like 23 years on the other trans am

Every major aftermarket makes one, even Edelbrock, Holley....ect. (But they do not make after-market electronic ones).

Rochester had the patent on the Q-Jet and sold it to Edelbrock. They were the only one making new carbs. As far as the rest of them they're rebuilds not new.

I think those are re manufactured stockers? Summit also has Jet brand quadrajets also. Reman as well I think

I have used lots of the edelbrock carbs before, if you pay attention to the gasket surfaces suring assembly, it wont leak or give you too much crap.

most of the time right out of the box, the gasket surfces have lint and other junk stuck on them, and when assembled they make a mess.

Best suggestions for a NA 231, would be a holley 390 or 450 cfm. the spread bore holley would be the best option, but are limited to 650cfm and higher. The edelbrock 500 would be fine as well. There is no need for a thunder series carb, your buying performance you wont need. As for the quadra toilet.... I'll leave that up to charlie .... as I hate the things.

:biggrin: A.j.

Back