You can type here any text you want

edist/fast b2b-help needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

protosy

I just finished installing my edist box in my syclone. Unfortunately, I am not getting a crank pulse at the edist. I am, however, getting a RPM signal at the fast ecu. Cam pulse is working just fine, provided by an optical trigger mounted in a modified distributor cap.

The crank pulse should be provided from the stock distributor (inductive pickup) and goes through the stock ICM. It would seem my issue relates to how the ICM works below 400 RPM in crank mode. But, to be honest, I am not certain this is accurate.

So, is there something that needs to be added to the wiring to simulate the load or resistance provided by the stock coil for the ICM to send the pulse to edist? Or am I missing something else entirely? I read a post from bruce that said something about using 3 1kohm resistors in the circuit, but I am not real clear if that is the answer here or not; and if it is, where exactly they would go.

edit1: I just did a simple test of putting the stock coil back on, inline with the wiring that goes to the edist. The coil sparks as it should, so the est signal is definetly being sent to the edist box, however, it is not picking it up (based on the lack of a flash of the led).

Any insight on the issue would be much appreciated. :confused:

thanks.
chad

If you know the signal is getting to the eDist, try hooking it up to the coils you are using with it and testing for spark. I remember seeing bad LEDs every so often on the eDist.

Craig-

thanks for the response. I have checked the coils for spark, and I am not getting anything, nor is my tach moving at all.

its interesting (to me at least) that if I have the box configured for crank pulse dwell low (switch 7 on), when the box powers up the crank and cam lights flash momentarily. with it set to switch 7 off, only cam flashes.

Well, there are a few different components that the crank signal is routed through depending on how that switch is set. The EST signal from the HEI module should trigger either one. One of them, of course, wouldn't be right, but it should do something. If it doesn't, I would inquire with FAST about having the unit tested and/or repaired.

I was finally able to get it all running.

An electronics guru friend of mine at work took the box home and found a cold solder joint on the board. He re-flowed it and now it all works perfectly.

I was having a bit of a difficult time getting a straight answer from support about what the box expected to see and how it would behave in my configuration; which is why I opted to not send the box in.

Thanks Craig for your input on the matter, it is appreciated.

Back