egged shaped connecting rods

ApullinV6

In process of rebuilding engine after wiping #3 rod journal. Cleaned crank by turning .010" . Engine builder was looking at connecting rods today and noticed that all are egg shaped.. What would cause this. He said that he had never seen any egg shaped this bad? Do you really have a problem removing pistons off of a 100k mile car or should I just go ahead and replace both pistons and connecting rods.

What rods should I go with. If I'm not planning on going, say any faster than low 11's?

I'd suggest...

In process of rebuilding engine after wiping #3 rod journal. Cleaned crank by turning .010" . Engine builder was looking at connecting rods today and noticed that all are egg shaped.. What would cause this. He said that he had never seen any egg shaped this bad? Do you really have a problem removing pistons off of a 100k mile car or should I just go ahead and replace both pistons and connecting rods.

What rods should I go with. If I'm not planning on going, say any faster than low 11's?

you scrap them, and go with an aftermkt rod, such as an Eagle, SCAT, etc.
BE SURE to have them checked, too!!
As has been posted, I'd guess you pounded them into "submission", with detonation.

if you are going to stay withinn the targeted et range you stated the rods can probably be resized and used again.this is provided they are properly checked for cracks, length,straightness,bore diameter,fitted with new bolts etc.as said earlier detonation is the most probable cause so proper tuning / timing will be of great importance.during some training years ago at gm this type of damage was shown to me and the rest of the class.uncontrolled explosions in the cylinder (caused by several different things) at points in the compression and power cycles where the piston is down in the bore a certain distance below tdc hammers the rods.