You can type here any text you want

EGR Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Crazy Turbo

Would a stuck or defective EGR valve cause oil to come up threw the PCV valve into the throttle body? Is it possible for oil to come out of the EGR valve in any one area...looks like some oil splatter around the EGR. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sounds like these might be two separate issues?

If you have a little oil inside the intake, that is probably from the EGR valve. It is considered normal. Lots of oil means there may be some other issue. I like to have a filtered catch can between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. This reduces the amount of oil that makes it into the intake. Something like this: http://prosportgauges.com/oil-catch-can-.aspx

Oil could also be coming from the turbo. Have you removed the tube from the compressor side of the turbo to check for oil?

The EGR valve has passages connected to the exhaust side of the engine and the upper intake manifold. Any oil from the EGR valve would likely be out of the exhaust stream - the amount of oil depends on the condition of your exhaust valve guides and seals (may not be any seals). I doubt this would generate much oil around the EGR valve. How about a leaking valve cover or intake manifold gasket instead?

I have not checked the turbo simply because there is no smoking going on(but this is a guess and im no pro)....there is oil going into the intake from the PCV (I have replaced the PCV with same result) and the EGR does have some oil coming out. The valve covers dont seem to be leaking. The guy I bought the car from is running 15-40 oil and it has a high pressure oil pump that keeps the pressure between 40-85 lbs. Could this be the cause of it? Too thick of a oil and too much pressure? Both valve covers are vented.

Back