You can type here any text you want

EGT Sensors FAST XFI

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mad_Trbo

Are there any FAST XFI users out there using your aux channels to track EGT's? I would like to do this but I am not interested in tracking all six instead I would like to do something like one. I will generate a baseline and then tuning changes and EGT's will be relative to my engine only.

If you are using EGT, what are some of the systems you are using? I have seen the FAST system and I am wondering if I can get into something a little less expensive. Understanding the FAST system is a great system that allows you to monitor 8 sensors under one aux channel through the use of a CANS system. I don't necessarily need or want this, any ideas?

Thanks!

i know you are not intrested but the fast setup works real good !! call cal hartline im sure they can help you

Are there any FAST XFI users out there using your aux channels to track EGT's? I would like to do this but I am not interested in tracking all six instead I would like to do something like one. I will generate a baseline and then tuning changes and EGT's will be relative to my engine only.

If you are using EGT, what are some of the systems you are using? I have seen the FAST system and I am wondering if I can get into something a little less expensive. Understanding the FAST system is a great system that allows you to monitor 8 sensors under one aux channel through the use of a CANS system. I don't necessarily need or want this, any ideas?

Thanks!

I am logging 6 individual EGTs through the CAN BUS system. I didn't want to burn 6 AUX inputs. The CAN BUS works awesome.

But if you want to log one EGT probe, then use one of the AUX inputs.

Yea, definitely call CArL

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but if you don't buy the FAST box for the EGT's.... you still have to buy an EGT signal amplifier in addition to the probe/s to hook into the aux inputs on the XFI.

FWIW... I agree with the others... the FAST EGT box works awesome on the XFI..

Save your pennys.....

Thanks Shawn and Billy Trian......sexual :smile:

This can be done. You will need to buy an amplifier that will boost the EGT signal to a 0-5 volt output. Caspers should have what you want. I know we used them before FAST came out with their unit.

CAN _ Cost

i know you are not intrested but the fast setup works real good !! call cal hartline im sure they can help you

Based on what I have picked up from FAST the CAN system is going to cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $1k, just not sure if it is worth it for the cost.

I am using my set up as a development platform and what I mean by that is development of my understanding of the effects of timing and fueling.

I want to monitor as much as I can while I have it on the engine dyno so I can truly understand the results of retarding the timing or advancing the timing and watch alos how spool changes or acceleration changes.

I'll take a look at Caspers to see if they have what I need. But FAST may be the way to go and simply start out with one thermocouple.

Based on what I have picked up from FAST the CAN system is going to cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $1k, just not sure if it is worth it for the cost.

I am using my set up as a development platform and what I mean by that is development of my understanding of the effects of timing and fueling.

I want to monitor as much as I can while I have it on the engine dyno so I can truly understand the results of retarding the timing or advancing the timing and watch alos how spool changes or acceleration changes.

I'll take a look at Caspers to see if they have what I need. But FAST may be the way to go and simply start out with one thermocouple.

Call Cal...... it isn't that expensive.

Still more than logging one or two.... but IMHO... all 6 EGT's....invaluable tuning tool.

Good feedback

Thanks for the feedback, I am seriously considering the unit due to it's versatility. Seems in the long run it is a solid investment.

Thanks again!

Individual Cylinder Correctoin

GNXTC2 are you doing individual cylinder correction? If so what kind of gains did you see?

Additionally where are you mounting the EGT module and how does it actually communicate with the XFI? Does it plug into the stock harness, or must the CAN wire travel through the firewall into the passenger compartment?

Very close to a decision here.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?

I am logging 6 individual EGTs through the CAN BUS system. I didn't want to burn 6 AUX inputs. The CAN BUS works awesome.

But if you want to log one EGT probe, then use one of the AUX inputs.

Yea, definitely call CArL

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I know you asked for Billy... but we are doing all 6 as well with 88GNX's IROC. It has a CanBus cable that goes from the box (which is mounted behind the engine on the firewall on our car).....and does go inside the car to the XFI box.... then a power wire and ground gets hooked up.... and that's about it. Once configured... all 6 EGT's show up on a datalog....we are very early in testing....we've seen 100+ degrees difference on different cylinders... once we get a few other kinks worked out.... we are going to begin tuning using the individual cylinder correction to even out the EGT temps between the cylinders.

IIn our case) Too early to tell if there are any gains.... but being able to even out the cylinders give much more piece of mind... and IMHO allows one to go a little further than they would otherwise be able to go without individual cylinder tuning.

HTH

Solid Information

You think your differences have to do mainly with the intake manifold and distribution of air.

You think your differences have to do mainly with the intake manifold and distribution of air.

In my opinion... yes..... Early indications are what we kinda expected... cylinders 5 and 6 run hotter than the rest.... because the high pressure high velocity air is packing it into #5 and #6 more so than the rest..... IMHO that is inherient in the design of the doghouse style intake we are running.

HTH

I know you asked for Billy... but we are doing all 6 as well with 88GNX's IROC. It has a CanBus cable that goes from the box (which is mounted behind the engine on the firewall on our car).....and does go inside the car to the XFI box.... then a power wire and ground gets hooked up.... and that's about it. Once configured... all 6 EGT's show up on a datalog....we are very early in testing....we've seen 100+ degrees difference on different cylinders... once we get a few other kinks worked out.... we are going to begin tuning using the individual cylinder correction to even out the EGT temps between the cylinders.

IIn our case) Too early to tell if there are any gains.... but being able to even out the cylinders give much more piece of mind... and IMHO allows one to go a little further than they would otherwise be able to go without individual cylinder tuning.

HTH

X2

its an invaluable tool for many reasons! Cal had mine hooked up and running in no time! the best part is the peace of mind of being able to look at each cylinder for problems.

Additionally where are you mounting the EGT module and how does it actually communicate with the XFI? Does it plug into the stock harness, or must the CAN wire travel through the firewall into the passenger compartment?

For a cleaner install, I mount the EGT module inside. This allows you to coil up any extra long EGT leads behind the dash.

Very close to a decision here.

Waiting on your call :cool:

You are funny! I am waiting on your call. I spoke with your wife and ordered the CAN system and the EGT probes along with the fuel pressure and oil pressure monitoring.

I simply wanted a little more info on how the FP and oil pressure harness tie into either the FAST or the stock wiring system.

GNXTC2 are you doing individual cylinder correction? If so what kind of gains did you see?

You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?

It comunicates through the CAN BUS. When you order the kit through Cal ;) , it's a plug and play.

I have not started to do individual cylinder corrections yet. Still about 50% through the tuning phase.

For a cleaner install, I mount the EGT module inside. This allows you to coil up any extra long EGT leads behind the dash.

This how I did mine. I mounted mine behind the glove box area. I will try and get you some pics.

You are funny! I am waiting on your call. I spoke with your wife and ordered the CAN system and the EGT probes along with the fuel pressure and oil pressure monitoring.

I simply wanted a little more info on how the FP and oil pressure harness tie into either the FAST or the stock wiring system.

They tie into OEM EGR harness. Are runnin stand alone or a Casper's interface box?

It comunicates through the CAN BUS. When you order the kit through Cal ;) , it's a plug and play.

I have not started to do individual cylinder corrections yet. Still about 50% through the tuning phase.

This how I did mine. I mounted mine behind the glove box area. I will try and get you some pics.

They tie into OEM EGR harness. Are runnin stand alone or a Casper's interface box?

Pics would be sweet, thanks!!

And I am running an interface to the stock harness in the car.

On the engine dyno I am running a harness built by casper.

Back