Electronic Boost Controllers

Originally posted by FWD turbo
Thank you Mark, that information is very helpful. I will definitely need to research this further and look into getting one of these. Sounds like a really nice feature to have. Might be worth the $300.

E-BAY $269.00 I am there:)

I highly doubt anyone is using a boost controller to make up for a badly tuned car, alky. or race gas.

That certainly won't help you make any power.

There are plenty of good reasons to use a feedback system and lots of bells and whistles/features you might want.

I don't buy the weather change stories either but I have never used a bleeder valve or needed one on my cars in the high 11 range where the original poster is most likely running.

I use chip control and adjust. wastegate one one car and the BSTC and dual solenoids and adj. wastegate on car #2.

No real issues with control if you have a large puck and port the turbo.

The original poster never did say he was buying one either just "thinking about getting one" .

Maybe after reading the thread and how they work and what they can do helped him make a good decsion. :)

I agree tying one to the knock sensor would be a great idea. :cool:

The Greddy Profec-B II is one of the best units out there for the money. The fact that it has boost feedback is one of the best features.

For those that have used mechanical boost controllers in areas where the weather changes 30-40 degrees in temperature on a regular basis know how much the boost changes. I saw as much as 4 psig boost change with both the grainger and the air compressor style units when living in Washington.

I can never see the point of people butting into threads when people ask simple questions, yet never leave any useful info.

Putting a Profec-B on our cars is about the same usefulness as going with a FAST system. Neither of them are "needed", but they sure do make life a lot easier.

The Innovative unit is only $695 retail, but it is no where as easy to use as the Profec-B, but it has a lot more features.

Ok I have a question about this... I have a problem... I cant get my boost gauge get over 22 psi, well this was the problem last season, this season is the car out of tune and I have not tried to raise the boost.

I belive it can be two reasons for this. The first is a leaking boost gauge (its a VDO unit) and the second is that when I had this 22 psi, I turned the waste gate rod several turns and then went on and runned the car and the boost was still 22 psi... Is it possibly that I have maxed out the WG rod, and that it as that time was in its shortest position ?

Now to the real question. Will a Greddy solve this you think ? So you can adjust over 22 psi ? I know it has a built in boost pressure gauge... so I can see the highest amount of boost wich will do my present boost gauge useless.

Daniel

Originally posted by crownvic96
you don't need an adjustable rod with an electronic boost controller

And where does the EBC takes it boost readings from ? With my VDO gauge I have it connected to the fuel pressure vacum line.

It seems like this can be a solution to my problems. And the boost come on faster than with the stock setup to, thats just good :)

Daniel

Man you guys are confused:confused:

Swede you have other issues, did you check the puck on the DP to make sure it is not sticking.

The boost controller gets a T off your gate and gets it pressure reading from there.

No.... you do not need to run this unit with a adjustable gate, most guys that have this unit have external gates. It can be used either way.

So you guys do not get confused the reason we like these is, the boost settings stays the same at 20 degrees or 100 degrees. If you set it for 25PSI that is where boost will stay regardless of outside temp. It also has some other cool features, but that is the main reason why I like it. No more over-boosting etc,etc

One of the neat features of the Profec B II that I use very time I get on my car is the HIGH BOOST record. One of the display panels records your peak boost. With a push of a button it clears it ready for the next run. Another feature that has been mentioned is the preset max boost. After you hit the boost you specify, then the controller will reduce any over boost that you specify by the % that you specify.. It is one of my favorite toys in my GN. I paid $50 more for my fancy radio and I never even listen to it because my ATR 3" dual exhaust sounds so nice.

I just thought of a couple of other things I really like about the Greddy.

The waste gate opening is adj with a turn of a knob. You can set it to open anywhere from 1# to your max boost setting. This really helped my 60' times from the quick spool up.

Also you can adj the solenoid gain to tune your boost so it is rock solid.

A real benefit to us ALKY guys is the ability to have two boost settings. I have the low boost set for no Alky 17#. This is so you can go into boost for passing and such and not waste your Meth. My Alky turns on at 5# boost so everytime I would hit boost before I would be spraying alky.
My high boost is set at 28# so that If I want to go right to Kill mode I hit the steering wheel mounted (wireless) remote boost switch and turn on the Alky and I am ready to street race.

Like I said it's my favorite toy in the cockpit.

can you set the boost, for leaving at the starting line ??
say 10 psi, so everytime, you leave with the same amount ??

Although it does not have a starting line setting like you're asking, I suppose you could try to make it work using the 2 different settings that can be saved.
The remote mounted switch would work nice here.

You could run a low setting and then a High setting, however the only way to leave with a set boost is a brake or a MSD box IMO:cool:

I understand the Greddy has a switch on the panel to switch between two boost levels. Does it have the ability to remotely switch between the two also??

Thanks Dan, I was aware of that setup. Just seems a little pricey considering I don't need the switch, already have a microswitch set up on my shifter just wondered if I could run my own wiring to the back of the Greddy unit????

Have anyone proof that Greddy does improve your 60 feets ?

I know the RJC boost controller does wonders, but how is the greddy when it comes to this issue ?

Thx for any info.

Daniel

OK, can anyone with a Greddy unit, please check out the back where the remote switch would connect and explain how it hooks up? I don't need the kit with the $100.00 switch, just a way to connect a remote switch. THANKS !!