You can type here any text you want

Eliminating the muffler on a TTA....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lee_Burough

..Never Forget..
Staff member
I'm thinking of eliminating the muffler on my TTA. I'd replace the muffler with pipes to exit and still be stock appearing from the rear. My car is still stock except for the Ta-49....

Anybody done this? How loud would it be with the CAT still in place?

The original owner put a Midas muffler in there. The Midas employee wrote in big letters across the receipt that the muffler was not free flowing enough for a turbo.

Opinions?

:)

I have a flowmaster cat back system on my car. The muffler is actualy bolted in place with what looks like a header flange. I made me a new pipe so I can unbolt the muffler and replace it with the new strait pipe. Saved alot of weight and is only realy loud at idle.

Put the rite muffler in place. A dynomax ultraflow.

Most muffler shops carry them.

Lee_Burough said:
I'm thinking of eliminating the muffler on my TTA. I'd replace the muffler with pipes to exit and still be stock appearing from the rear. My car is still stock except for the Ta-49....

Anybody done this? How loud would it be with the CAT still in place?

The original owner put a Midas muffler in there. The Midas employee wrote in big letters across the receipt that the muffler was not free flowing enough for a turbo.

Opinions?

:)

put the Borla 14888 system on it, gives you the option to go straight through bypassing the muffler if you like...I'm considering this system for my TTA as well http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177269

Don't do it! When I bought my TTA it was all stock except for a K&N and a straight pipe set up in place where the mufler went. It was abit loud, had a bad drone to it, and basically sounded like crap to me.

There's deffinately a difference between a "healthy" sounding exhaust and one thats just loud.

Since I'm setting up my TTA to be twin turbocharged I would be willing to sell my ATR cat back if anyone is interested.

Jason

postal said:
Don't do it! When I bought my TTA it was all stock except for a K&N and a straight pipe set up in place where the mufler went. It was abit loud, had a bad drone to it, and basically sounded like crap to me.

There's deffinately a difference between a "healthy" sounding exhaust and one thats just loud.

Since I'm setting up my TTA to be twin turbocharged I would be willing to sell my ATR cat back if anyone is interested.

Jason

PM me with details....Do you have a gutted CAT?

I have a matching ATR "Test Pipe", which is basically a small section of straight pipe with the 4 bolt cat style flange on the one end. Basically its a straight pipe set up to go in place of where the cat went.

What kind of details are you looking for? If your interested in my ATR set up a phone call would make things alot easier. Give me a call if you get a chance. 309-253-7991

Jason

postal said:
I have a matching ATR "Test Pipe", which is basically a small section of straight pipe with the 4 bolt cat style flange on the one end. Basically its a straight pipe set up to go in place of where the cat went.

What kind of details are you looking for? If your interested in my ATR set up a phone call would make things alot easier. Give me a call if you get a chance. 309-253-7991

Jason
Enjoyed chatting with you Jason....Hope you find those TTA headers you need :)

lee

I don't know what I'm going to do about the headers now. I wanted a set so I could see about having some 3" stainless steel down pipes made up because no one seams to be making them for our cars any more. In another post Grumpy stated that Mike Licht was supposed to be having some made, and that nobody would want one anyway. So I guess I'll just look at having some GN pipes made up, and see if I can't beat the price of the ones that are currently available.

I thought a nice stainless d/p priced at or below what a GN one goes for would have been a nice option to be available to the TTA guys.

Jason

p.s maybe some time we can pick up our conversation where we left off.

Back