You can type here any text you want

Emission standards more strict now for TT/A's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dsmith4994

I failed emissions two times (In CT the taxed to death state) and when i checked all the allowable limits i found that they were lowered substantially from the originals when i bought the car. Is this legal ?? Can they lower the original emission limits ?? The HC went from 157 down to 132, the CO went from 1.00 down to .42, the NO went from 1121 down to 921.
I dont think my car when it was brand new would pass these new emission limits !!! Does anyone know how to get the emissions as low as possible ??
My car is essentially stock except for a 3" thdp, kenne bell boost a volt, type 2 coil, k&n air filter, 2 mass air flow screens removed, throttle body blocked off and adjustable fuel regulator set to 43 lbs static.

Here in Ca, we do a dyno test to smog the cars at load.

Test HC Max CO% Max NOx Max
15mph 114 .73 785
25mph 88 .61 724

They established new values when they went to these tests. I am not sure how they came up with them, but they did. These cars were not designed for these tests and NOx settings were not set when they were new.

Both my cars barely pass the HC at 25mph.

- Dave

That sounds bad... Try to put some E85 (ethanol) in the tank to see if that helps the smog results. We have had some good results in Sweden with it, when the car didnt go tru with orginal gas. I know that our tests not are the same as yours but its worth a try.

Daniel

Hi,
Here in Houston, Texas, we have dyno testing on 95 and older vehicles. 96 and up are obd2,and are onboard interface tested. I believe that the test limits are tiered to the OE specs in place at the time of manufacture.
It really sucks that CT is doing this, and all I can suggest is that you hook up with an emissions savy tech there who can help you pass this test. Companies like Hagerty Insurance and Prime Media are lobbying against this type of unfair legislation. We will see how that goes.In the meantime, talk to the techs who know the situation. Best luck!

Put the MAF screens back in and lower the FP, this will help. Also, you can purchase a smog chip on this board. I got one for 50# inj. for $25, they bring your temps up, lock your convertor as soon as it goes into 2nd, etc. Well worth the money.

davege said:
Here in Ca, we do a dyno test to smog the cars at load.

Test HC Max CO% Max NOx Max
15mph 114 .73 785
25mph 88 .61 724

They established new values when they went to these tests. I am not sure how they came up with them, but they did. These cars were not designed for these tests and NOx settings were not set when they were new.

Both my cars barely pass the HC at 25mph.

- Dave

Dave, when was your car smogged last ? Mine was done 5/04 and those numbers were lower. HC 112/86 CO .72/.60 NO 778/717

Wonder if they have different values for SoCal vs NorCal :eek:

Here in RI we also do the Dyno test which is what I thought CT did. Anyway I had mine done last Oct. and my limits look different than yours. Mine are in GPM and are:

HC GPM------2.25
CO GPM------23.74
NOX GPM-----3.25

Hopefully they won't change these in RI anytime soon if they haven't already. My car passed no problem and I have inj., chip etc. A few things I did before I went were to change the oil, made sure the car was hot when the test began and I added some of that "quarantee to pass emission" in a bottle stuff. I don't know about this stuff as I'm not a big fan of putting anything in the tank, so I would venture that this did nothing to help me. Might want to post this over on the emissions board with some numbers and I'm sure someone over there will have a good answer.

1BADDAM said:
Dave, when was your car smogged last ? Mine was done 5/04 and those numbers were lower. HC 112/86 CO .72/.60 NO 778/717

Wonder if they have different values for SoCal vs NorCal :eek:

Frank,
These were the numbers for the last two Smogs I had done on the Hardtop. My last test was done about a couple of weeks ago. I have not looked back on the Festival car to see. Looks Like part of the privlage to live in So Cal is ... tighter emissions tests! :confused:

- Dave

Back