You can type here any text you want

engine block and head questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1980turbomonte

im new to the website
i own a white 1980 turbo monte carlo

the original motor and trans are in the car
so my question but i bought
a short block and some ported and polished heads for it and want to put them in my car. just wanted to make sure the parts will work together. since i think the block is an 84 and the heads are from an 80 i think. just making sure it it all bolt together and work.

block number is 25520040
Heads number is 25506293
and the cam i want to use is a comp cam part number 69-248-4
and im goin to use my old harmonic balancer and flexplate
will this work?

thanks guys any information will help

Welcome to the board.

Not too familiar with the Monte stuff. I would find a set of 84-87 turbo heads for sure. They have an extra cooling passage in them that is needed for a turbo car. The last 4 digits are 8445. I think they are found on non-turbo cars as well. Any 80's style GM v6 block should work but I would check for cracks and provisions for a knock sensor. Sounds like a Comp 206-206 cam? Good cam but I wouldn't go too big on a carbed turbo car due to spool up. I think you'll be OK though. The flywheel and balancer should work on all those motors. Post some pics of the car.

thanks for the info
the heads were bought from a teacher at wyotech while i attended
i ported and polished them and he help me build them.
i knew they would bolt up to my existing block but we can across a short block that was all ready assembled so we picked it up.
the comp cam did seem a lil high but it was the only one i could find that said it was a good stock replacement for a carb turbo motor.

im not lookn to make tons of power just keep the car running good on the street
the cam in the car now is huge and it makes 13 pounds of boost but it has no low end power at all.

anywhere else i can look at cams for a carb turbo?

Nice looking car. Do you have manifolds or headers? 1983 headers are the best flowing of the carbed turbo. ( I do have some if interested) That might help the spool-up. If you use the 83 headers then a stock 86-87 GN crossover will work. Make sure you have a free flowing exhaust and downpipe. No cat if you can. The only thing that would increase the low end pick-me-up with a significant difference would be a higher stall torque convertor. 2800 would be ideal I think. Unless your tranny is beefed up it won't handle the torque for a long time. It will eventually start shifting sluggishly. Is the cam you have a 206-206? I can't really think of one that's smaller. You might be able to find a 200-200 somewhere. I think stock GN cams are 194-194 or somewhere around there. Have you installed a K&N filter that does away with the stock air cleaner? If not that will help out tremendously.An electric fan will help too with getting rid of the power robbing fan clutch. 160 degree thermostat is a must to keep the motor cooler. Shoot a pic of the engine bay. Feel free to ask anything. Michael

i have the stock exhaust manifold. we gasket matched them cause they were way to small and took out the stamping for a lil extra flow. car has 3in exhuast with no cats that was purcashed from conellys performance plus.
also had a 2800 stall converter built here in houston. it helped alot but when you stall it will push around7-8 pounds but when you try to take off it bogs really bad and has to reboost back up.
ill keep inmind to switch to a lower thermostat.
it does have a k&n filter also. it runs great on the top
but you have to get it alot of gas just to get it rolling from a stop sign.
figured it was do to the cam it has in it already. its a comp cam part number 69-246-4 with 110 lsa and at .050 its 218 218 i know this is a huge cam for the set up and is probably why i dont make any low end power.

i know turbo cars are supposed to have atleast 112 on lsa.
the new cam is 122 lsa
and .050 212 212 i know this is still big from what people are telln me
but comp cams is telln me this is a good replacement cam

Here's one thing to keep in mind when dealing with the buick v6 engine: a stock longblock in an 86/87 is capable of high 10s

i see this is my daily driver car lol not looking for alot of racing just some fun time everyonce and a while

im also seeing hydraulic roller what would i have to change to go to an hydraulic roller set up? just cam and lifters and push rods?
they have a smaller 206 206 cam but it has a .496 lift i think my new spring only hold up too .500 lift.... would that be an issue also?

I would replace the 218 cam. I think it's too big. It probably sounds cool at idle though. I am running the Comp 212-212 and I like it but I think for an iron headed street car the 206-206 would be better. The intakes on the carbed turbo cars are rediculous. I would keep the cam on the smaller side with this application. I've owned an 83 Turbo Regal since '94 and I've played with a few upgrades. I too ran a cam that was on the big side and it really hurt low end torque. If you don't mind paying a little bit more than I would totally go with a roller cam. You can keep the stamped rocker arms but just get the pushrods measured correctly. You will need 130# valve springs (prefer Beehives) for the roller cam. It sucks that you really can't use roller rockers because where the intake hangs over the driver's side valve cover. You would have to get taller valve covers and somehow space the turbo and carb assembly up higher to clear the taller valve cover. YUK! Really don't need it though. You could play with alcohol! Oh...my 83 went through an overhaul and was changed over to the 86-87 style. It ran a 13.2 @ 106 at 8lbs of boost with a 2.2 60 ft. I am now building a stage II motor for it.

yea 752 bucks to change to the 206 cam but im deffinitly getting rid of that 218 cam i guess the 212 cam is all that is out there without going roller or going custom grind.. unless i go back stock cam if i can find a good one...
and yes it it has that good ol camed buick sound.

again thanks for the help

All Buick rwd even fire v6 parts from 79-89 are interchangable as far as intake, heads, and blocks. The heads you have are fine. I went 133.4mph with the non bridged 6293 heads and the engine had about 5 minutes of WOT at that power level with no head gasket failure. There are no other water passages in the other castings. They are all very similar. The 8445 was the latest casting and used from late 83 up turbo or not.

you should look in the BEFORE BLACK section of the forum........ its where all of us dirty carb kids play.

kinda like the bad side of the tracks....

:biggrin: A.j.

I was just reminded of this from another "honerable buick brother:biggrin: " You may want to check and see if you still have the ass backward wastegate. Go check it out at the b4black website. It does slow down spool

Back