You can type here any text you want

Engine carnage, or put together dirty?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
Looks like it was put together dirty to me. I swear, if you buy a car from someone--you never know who builds stuff unless well documented. And even then.....? ??? Got cam and heads swapped out, went for a start and got low oil pressure. What the hell...might as well finish the job off. Why put it back together with a known issue. Tear into it...now this. I have always noticed low oil pressure since I have had her, but do not feel like band-aiding this. How bad was / is this in your opinion? dirtymotor2.jpg dirtymotor1.jpg dirtymotor1.jpg dirtymotor2.jpg

Attachments

• dirtymotor3.jpg
    dirtymotor3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 280
Being there's a rope seal in the rear main, has it even been rebuilt? Look at the bearings and see if they are factory.

You are probably right.....I'm sure it was not due to the rope seal. Just a little bit pissed as the warm weather is approaching and now I have this. I was planning an over the winter BUT.....I didn't feel like band-aiding it anymore. So basically...it was probably just time.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at. Probably never been apart, high mileage.

Yeah, look at the parts you pulled out. A rebuild is usually pretty easy to find... Marked rods, aftermarket bearings, aftermarket gaskets, etc...

It'd be RARE to find an engine that was rebuild with all factory original parts and no markings.

My 177k mile unopened short block had bearings that look just like that. Car still made decent oil pressure, and actually ran good.

Back