You can type here any text you want

Engine Mod Questions?????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87-TURBO-T

Hi everybody. i just bought my first real tr ( had 2 85's in the past). its a 87 t-type with 89,000 miles and all stock. i'm looking to run 10's but still be able to go down the highway. can somebody help me with what i'll need, in the order i should do them? thanks!!!

10's!!! ??? Open up your wallet pal. Order doesn't matter, you'll need it all.

Scanmaster 2.1

3" downpipe/open dump & no cat

Cold Air Intake

Precision Stock location Intercooler OR Front Mount

Turbo Tweak Race chip

60 LBS injectors

Hotwired fuel pump

Adjustable FPR

6262 Turbo @ 23-25 LBS

116 Race Gas or Alky Injection

9.5-10.5" slicks to get it to hook

All this new..... $2500-3000+

Its gonna cost more than 3k:eek: For it to run SAFELY. Do you want a 10 sec slip and than back off,maybe 3k(with some used parts). To run solid 10s ALL THE TIME,alot more$$. The turbo,SLIC,DP,Alky alone NEW is $2500.00(thats just getting started) And to run safe you would have to upgrade bottom end,which is not cheap. Like said before (BIG POCKETS). Do some research, many have done it cheaply thou.

10's!!! ??? Open up your wallet pal. Order doesn't matter, you'll need it all.

Scanmaster 2.1

3" downpipe/open dump & no cat

Cold Air Intake

Precision Stock location Intercooler OR Front Mount

Turbo Tweak Race chip

60 LBS injectors

Hotwired fuel pump

Adjustable FPR

6262 Turbo @ 23-25 LBS

116 Race Gas or Alky Injection

9.5-10.5" slicks to get it to hook

All this new..... $2500-3000+

You missed the trans and torque converter. Better tack on another +/-3K for a quality setup. Then be prepared to fix hard parts later

There's a saying that goes like this.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. You only get to pick two.

Tens is a lofty goal. Attainable but it will take allot of time, money, and patience. How good are you at turning wrenches? If you're going to be paying someone to do the necessary work to get there you better have deep pockets. If you can do your own stuff start using the search button and read....allot. Tune what you have to it's fullest potential and then start trying to go faster. For starters I would give you this as a list for 10's.

Basics. (scan tools, stuff like that)

Ported heads w/good gaskets.
Turbo/intercooler (stock location or front mount)
Drive train upgrads (trans, torque convertor, axles, slicks, c-clip elims)
safety (drive shaft loop, bar/cage)
fuel system (injectors, pumps)
exhaust (down pipe, test tube, ect)
Odds and ends and stuff I can't think of off the top of my head right now.

That list assumes you picked fast and reliable at the top of my post and it's only kinda reliable because on the stock bottom end you wont have any room for error when tuning and it might just let go even if you don't make a mistake. If that happens you'll be looking at an engine build.

I'll say it again. There's nothing wrong with shooting for 10's. That's where I want to be. I would just recommend using what you have to it's fullest potential and then looking into upgrades.

There's a saying that goes like this.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. You only get to pick two.

Tens is a lofty goal. Attainable but it will take allot of time, money, and patience. How good are you at turning wrenches? If you're going to be paying someone to do the necessary work to get there you better have deep pockets. If you can do your own stuff start using the search button and read....allot. Tune what you have to it's fullest potential and then start trying to go faster. For starters I would give you this as a list for 10's.

Basics. (scan tools, stuff like that)

Ported heads w/good gaskets.
Turbo/intercooler (stock location or front mount)
Drive train upgrads (trans, torque convertor, axles, slicks, c-clip elims)
safety (drive shaft loop, bar/cage)
fuel system (injectors, pumps)
exhaust (down pipe, test tube, ect)
Odds and ends and stuff I can't think of off the top of my head right now.

That list assumes you picked fast and reliable at the top of my post and it's only kinda reliable because on the stock bottom end you wont have any room for error when tuning and it might just let go even if you don't make a mistake. If that happens you'll be looking at an engine build.

I'll say it again. There's nothing wrong with shooting for 10's. That's where I want to be. I would just recommend using what you have to it's fullest potential and then looking into upgrades.

my day job is as a certified gm mechanic, i'll be doing the wrenching. ok maybe mid 11's:biggrin:

Hey man, there's a big differance between mid 11's and tens...especially with these cars. I know about cars. I know how to get my car into the tens. I have the turbo, intercooler, fuel system, trannny, and some other things I need to get into the tens. I don't run tens because I don't have the axles, I don't have the bar/cage, and I know what's in the bottom of my engine and I know that I can't afford to build another for quite awhile if it blows. So I run 11's. :biggrin: Actually, mid 11's seems to be the breaking point for big money with a TR. You can run in the 11's pretty easy. I would still recommend searching on this site allot but I'll go ahead and give you my recommendations for a starting point.

I would get a scan tool. Detonation will kill your engine fast. You need to watch it! I would also get a hotwire setup for the fuel pump and a new fuel pump before you try and push it. If you have a stock pump you're asking for problems. Get an aftermarket pump and the hotwire setup so your car can get the fuel it needs to the engine. After that you have several options to go faster. My opinion would be to get an alky injection kit (I like the alky control kit) and turn up the boost. Then I'd upgrade the intercooler and the turbo. For the intercooler I like the stock location units but a front mount won't hurt if you like that route. I'll say this. We have more than one board member here that's gone 9's with a stock location intercooler. For the turbo I'd recommend searching the board. I'm not ashamed to say that I don't have the down low on all the new turbos that are coming out right now. With a turbo and intercooler you should be able to make 11's if you upgrade the fuel system and bolt on some slicks for traction. This is when things get more complicated. There's several different routes to take from this point and everyone has an opinion. I would work on getting to this point and then go from there. This is just my opinion however and I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck. james

By that way, congrats on your new buy! :biggrin: Get it tuned up and running and start working on your goal a little at a time. Where are you located?

Back