You can type here any text you want

engine mounts - how hard are they to replace?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DOUGGN

I have an 80,000 mile 87 GN and my motor moves an inch or two under load. It may be causing false knock issues. I think it is time for new motor mounts. Are they hard to replace? Is there a "how to" anywhere that anyone knows about?

Floor jack and piece of wood under the oil pan. Pass side is harder than the drivers, some people have a hard time doing it and for others it is a breeze.

buy a hr parts and stuff driver side and a stock passenger side. pull the front wheels off and go in through the wheel well. with a big block of wood carefully lift the engine up with a floor jack or if you have a engine hoist you could lift the engine that way too but the hoist legs may be in the way. i did this a year ago for a member on here but we did a lot of changes at once so i cant remember all the details.
long extensions and a swivel will help. also make sure your driver side exhaust manifold is not cracked as well while your in there, usually cracked where 3-5 come toghther real obvious with a flashlight.

buy a hr parts and stuff driver side and a stock passenger side. pull the front wheels off and go in through the wheel well. with a big block of wood carefully lift the engine up with a floor jack or if you have a engine hoist you could lift the engine that way too but the hoist legs may be in the way. i did this a year ago for a member on here but we did a lot of changes at once so i cant remember all the details.
long extensions and a swivel will help. also make sure your driver side exhaust manifold is not cracked as well while your in there, usually cracked where 3-5 come toghther real obvious with a flashlight.

Wasn't sure about mixing mounts so I had already ordered both L and R mounts from HR. The area to check for cracks - is this visible from top or underside?

Wasn't sure about mixing mounts so I had already ordered both L and R mounts from HR. The area to check for cracks - is this visible from top or underside?

Right from the top. Use a flashlight it will be real obvious if your looking for it. The reason i mention it if it is cracked it will just be 1 more thing out of the way when you are doing your motor mount on that side.

Back