You can type here any text you want

Engine rear main seal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNONYX

Hi All, Is there another way of replacing the engine rear main seal besides removing the tranny?

No need to remove the trans. It is actually not that hard of a job. Hardest part is getting the old seal out.

Thanks for the info site, at least I don't have to remove the tranny, I don't need the extra work.

just a side note- if you decide to fill the side cavities with silicone or use silicone, let the silicone "cure" overnight before starting. I found this to be helpful after a few real main seal replacements.

just a side note- if you decide to fill the side cavities with silicone or use silicone, let the silicone "cure" overnight before starting. I found this to be helpful after a few real main seal replacements.

Try The Right Stuff instead of silicone. I have found it works better.

Good advice about letting it cure overnight. Highly recommended.

wouldn't the Right Stuff expand to possible fall into the oil pan? Also would do have to use heat resisted product?

wouldn't the Right Stuff expand to possible fall into the oil pan? Also would do have to use heat resisted product?

You're thinking Great Stuff. Right Stuff is a RTV gasket maker from Permatex. Use it to fill the cavities on the side of the rear bearing cap. I did mine a couple of months ago, and I had it done in hour and a half. I still get an occasional drip, but I think that that is pretty much normal for these cars.

Back