You can type here any text you want

Engine rebuild Questions?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Steave V

:biggrin: That's a bad a$& motor I just wanted to say I just bought a 87 GN from VA. And motor& trans. Was done by Mr. Steave V in VA. Beach this guy is the best I have ever seen I don't care if it's mild or wild he can do it my car not a all out drag car like u got but it gets 21 miles to the gal. And it's got realy cold AC . Mods are t59 turbo 60 lb injectors, walterboro fuel pump stretch intercooler neck adj. Billet fuel reg. Trans. Was rebuilt by Steave V I don't what the he$l he done to it but I need a neck brace if I keep driving it by the way I drive it everyday and it's awesome scannermaster # are perfect Steave V is the man when it comes to any kind of car especially when it comes to 3.8 turbo Buick also he changed the camshaft and open up the oil gallies I am sure there is someone as good but I can't find him I ain't looking for nobody as long as the big V still living he's only 33 but damn he good!!!! Now I got A 1970 nova that runs 6.15 in 1/8 on true 10.5-28 MTs and 5.64-1/8 on two guns but I would rather drive my 87 hard top cold ac GN with the new nitro drags on the back . Don't get it twisted I love going fast but I like hitting the key on the GN and go , no racing fuel no trailer, air tank,bat.charger etc. But anybody around VA beach or just within 100 or in my opinion 500 hundred miles Steave V is the man and worth the drive PS I got a damn DVD showing step by step of the engine and trans work also I got a stack invoices with every little thing this guy is a true professional

Scat makes a 4340 stk. Or stroke crank for 3.8 or get the hole kit crank diamond piston h beam rods all 4340 parts for$1650.00 ps get 4.3 kit for the same $

The mistake you are going to make here is that you dont know the tolerances required to put one of these motors together. I am not trying to be rude but i am being honest.

You dont just slap one of these together. If you dont check tolerances on that girdle your motor will leak like a sieve. If you go with a stroker crank you have to notch the bottom of the block in places so the rods wont hit.

Balance of the rotating assembly is another area of concern. No its not rocket science for a good machine shop that knows what they are doing. If it was me take the parts to a recommended shop close to you. Which by the way, what state are you in?

Every guy who dives into this spends twice the amount of money because they end up going to someone knowledgeable about these after they bought all the good parts and the motor ate itself.

Good luck

If you're addressing me...^^^... I am not building myself. I have an expert doing it. Price has been reasonable and so far I have not broken the bank but it ain't been cheap.

Dude that's an everyday thing around here . Just let me say that I own a 87 GN the small 3.8 does well with mods that Steave v made T49, camshaft, springs, chip etc. But I wanted to go 4.3 t would not think twice about thTs all we do around here but keep in mind I live SC Darlington as a matter of a fact. We been stroking motors for a long time . But until I have a major brakege I not touching a y thing under the hood of my GN Steave V got it hauling a$@ with 21 miles to the gal, with ice cold ac , but when time comes my best freind is the best machinest around here and he owes me lots of favors but the way Steave V builds 3.8 GN or any thing he puts together u ant going to need to touch it for a long time long long time the guys is a real pro anyway catch ya later thTs wright I said yaaaaa!!!!
i

I am running a 210 210 roller cam from DSL and like it a lot. Smooth idle so it sounds stock but pulls like a freight train. The roller cam and lifter price tag sucks I know BUT after whiping out a 212 212 flat tappet cam costing me a motor rebuild AND a turbo rebuild from it getting the seals it was cheap insurance that I won't be having to do it again from a flat tappet cam crapping out on me. Daniel
ps call Dan at DLS he can help you get where you want to be at a decent price. He was a ton of help for me ! Great guy to deal with . Went pretty much with his advice and I am more than happy, 11.77 anytime at 16-17 pounds of boost, pump gas, doing nothing but putting the slicks on the back and then driving home with the ac blowing on me ! 10s are no problem with race gas and turning up the boost !

That's a bad ass engine but if spent $20,000.00 in a engine if it would not go 8.50s I would be sick . Anyway good luck Ps 87 GN ta60 20 lbs boost stretched neck fuel pump,adj. Reg., cam, springs,heads done by my best friend Matt Fulton stock heads as far as valves ets. ,turbo tweak chip,stock wheels with nitto rrr drags on the back, one maybe two more little things I learned from Kenny D. Book 10.44 1/4 - 6.97. 1/8 use nitrous for cool down ,PTC stall that's about it runs on 93 oct cold ac .every day driver keep me posted when u get it down the track once again good luck!!

Back