You can type here any text you want

engine stand

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'm sure it could be done, but it would be a lot of wiring work. Plus, if you crank down on the throttle on an inexpensive stand, it may flip over on you.

Not alot of wiring needed. Need a distributor, adapter for lower manifold for a carb, ignition box, NA V6 headers. Of course some water flow.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

idea

thats what I wanted to know- If some people got their engines started on a stand or before they dropped in to the cradle because it is sure a pain if something goes wrong and then you have to take it back out --bad..:biggrin:

use to ...

start my 327 while hanging on a chain hoist:biggrin: now that was crazy!:eek:

I'd love to see that 327 hanging off a chain hoist starting up!

I used to start VW engines on a table in a third floor apartment prior to carrying them downstairs for installation... had a chunk of bellhousing with a starter, a battery, a gas can and a hose... not even a fire extinguisher around! Of course, that was in the early 70's when I knew everything!

it would ...

try to climb the chain! was pouring gas in w/a coffee can and sometimes would pour too much.:biggrin:

start

few days a go I started my BB455 on a four legged engine stand and with little bit gas down the carb it started right up and had it up to rpm in no time - few leaks here and there but nothing major but sure easy to fix :biggrin:.In the above mentioned reply gnxtc2 appears is right on the track about installing a carb adapter and distributor from a non turbo earlier 3.8 or maybe even the 4.1 liter ,I am going to have to look in to that ..?:cool:

Has anyone tried starting a gn engine on a engine stand ..?

i do it all the time-------on average i build a GN engine almost one a week-----i NEVER put one in a car unless i run it on a stand to check for leaks or other problems-----its a great way to break in a cam and insures a problem free start up--------when i first started doing this 15 years ago i actually used an old harness from a parted car-------several years ago i had john at caspers make me a couple simplified harnesses that eliminated some of the "mess"------engine will run fine with no danger of flipping over since there is little torque reaction since it is not really doing any work------you will need to keep idle above about 1100 since without a torque convertor it will not idle well-------for cooling i use two methods------run a garden hose to the pump inlet and put a pressure regulator inline with the hose and set for 15 psi-------sometimes i use an old radiator with extra long hoses------both work fine-------this also makes it super easy to retorque head gaskets after a heat cycle............RC

I do it for everyengine.

i have a purpose built stand.

use the same one for all GM engines.

you can see me use it on youtube in my signiture.

A.j.

nice

that engine stand looks mighty fine ,where did you get the dimensions for it .?
It looks like water temp and oil pressure gauges with ignition kill and a start switch - what else.?:rolleyes:

that engine stand looks mighty fine ,where did you get the dimensions for it .?
It looks like water temp and oil pressure gauges with ignition kill and a start switch - what else.?:rolleyes:

for a buick you either have to make the mounts or you can buy the same stand with buick mounts at TA performance for like 100$

i use city pressure for water at 55lbs, which I like because it ensures headgaskets are down. Ive never had a problem. water circulates in block and is controlled by regular water valves to slow down speed to ensure engine runs at a comfortable 185.

the little panel is made out of some conduit from lowes, and thats about it really, the wiring is the last part of it.

A.j.

Makin' friends with the neighbors, huh? :D:D:D

Very cool.

whats really funny about that, is that I have all senor citizens for neighbors. im the youngest in my neighborhood!

they have never said a thing about the noise.... I reckon there all stone deaf!

but if I leave junk around outside, they will knock on my door in 20 minutes!

A.j.

Back