You can type here any text you want

Engine/trans questions.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ping

I got a 86 gn a few months back and the motor/trans was pulled by the previous owner to replace some gaskets (he didn't know what he was doing). When he put it back in he didn't hook everything up cause I got some wires that don't go anywhere and I think the vacuum line isn't hooked up? The car does not run right at all, I have no boost in first and second gear. I don't know if that's due to the fact that it hasn't been tuned (I don't see the point in tuning it right now due to all the problems), but could the trans have something to due with that because it shifts way to early and needs to be rebuilt, or cause it has a slight boost leek. I just replaced the cam sensor cap because it was broken but still the scan master says it's not right, and that's the same deal with my MAF sensor I replaced it but still not reading right. I just want to get this running back to stock. I don't know how the inside of the motor is but from what I've seen so far it can't be good. What parts should I replace to be sure it won't blow, I have a feeling that it might have a slight knock but that might be due to the cam sensor cap not reading right.

What do you guys think?

all I can say is WOW. I do not know how your mechanical skills are but from the description you may need to start from scratch. Does the Scanmaster show codes for the MAF and cam sensor? Codes do not always mean a bad part. If the readings are not within spec it will set a code. A guy can go broke real quick throwing parts at a car trying to fix it. gnttype.com has a lot of technical information, diagrams and specs on these cars. Might want to visit that site and study it. Also vortexbuicks has some real good diagnostic information.
Once you get your car running correctly you will be addicted because there is nothing like a Turbo Buick. Good Luck

There is a ....

guy on here that sells the buick manual on c-d. Do a search and you will be able to locate him. the c-d has only the info needed for the tr's.
On the driver's there is a wire w/a green connector that is suppose to be disconnected as well as a grey one, I beleive. the green one is for the testing and it's the tach signal. the grey I forgot. I don't use it. Check for vac. leaks and adjust the TV cable for your trans. It is probably too tight if it shifts hard and too soon. With the key off and the floor matnot bunched under the gas pedal, floor the accellorater pedal. That should properly adjust it. If you have a rod knock, you're going to have to remove the eng. any way, so try to determine if that's your problem first and then we will be able to help more w/that issue. Read a lot and keep asking questions. And BTW, Welcome to the board Pilgrim!:biggrin:

Cam sensor could be in backwards, 180 degrees out, and on the early shifting, try adjusting your TR cable. You'd want to adjust it toward the firewall to make it shift later. It sounds like it all the way out.

You need to find someone in your area with more TR knowledge than you.
Good luck.

I agree. Post where you're from and have someone help you out. Don't pay anyone. Surely there's someone nearby who will respond; otherwise, this could be a very frustrating and expensive experience for you. And fixing a car over the internet can be time consuming due to all of the misinformation.

Thanks for the help. And I'm lower Wi area.
For the cam sensor I put it in the same way when I took it out and tried the other way but the code still comes up, I might need to get a adjustable one.

I'm going to take a few pics of the engine to point some things out.

Anytime you take the cam sensor out, you need to adjust it. Go to Steve Wood's site and read up on it. I'm in Highland Park which is about 50 miles south of Kenosha.

Go here: Vortex Buicks

I Started it up today for the firs time in a while started first try and left it running and after 2 minutes it shut off and it's not because it hasn't been started in awhile because it was doing that last summer, what would cause this to happen.

Are you positive the cam sensor is set for 25' ATDC? I'd start there, then check for your ground wires on the front of the turbo bracket and at the back of the passenger side head. A plug wire that is shorting out could cause the car to not go into boost.

Where did you buy your MAF from? You have to be careful, because some after market ones are not calibrated correctly and can make your car stumble. Get a good MAF from G-Body, Kirbans, or Fullthrottle. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If not, get one, and check your pressure line off.

Kind of hard to guess what is going on. Good luck!

The thing is when I bought the car the MAF was good, I took it off to get to the cam sensor cap, but when I put it back on and started it up I got a code. That might be why it dies when I put it from park to reverse/drive and also when I give it gas from a stop the motor cuts out then comes back right before it dies, it does the same thing when slowing down to.

Back