You can type here any text you want

ET comparison.... aftermarket chip vs stock chip...?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Does anyone have a direct comparison on a near stock car.... and how much you pickup by installing an aftermarket chip.... like a turbo tweaK.... or something else.....

I am in the process of modding my car...... current mods and new best time is in the signature......

I am just wondering how much I am leaving on the table with the stock chip....

Near future mods include (among many other things) a new chip..... just wondering on a car similar to mine.... how much am I giving up with the stock chip?

with 30# injectors...the stock chip did fine...or so I thought until I put Eric's chip in...wow, big difference. I'd get one.

grocerygetter said:
with 30# injectors...the stock chip did fine...or so I thought until I put Eric's chip in...wow, big difference. I'd get one.

I already have an extender extreme to go with my LS1 MAF and translator. I originally wanted a TT chip until I decided to go with the LS1 MAF. To take full advantage of the increased airflow measurement capability.... I opted to do the Extender Extreme chip from fullthrottlespeed.

I do not plan on installing the new chip until I install the turbo and injectors. I am having fun now just tuning what I've got..... just don't know how much faster it would be with an aftermarket chip (like a tt) over the stocker. I know it would have much better overall driveability... and would be a "night-and-day" difference for idleing/running/cruising... ect..... but in a drag race.... how much am I actually losing (measured.... not butt dyno)?

The stock chip has way too much timing in it for anything greater than 12# of boost. The gains from aftermarket chips come from the WG bleed off being changed to near 100% to give you higher boost and the lower timing which keeps knock retard from occurring and huge amounts of timing being pulled.

2QUIK6 said:
The stock chip has way too much timing in it for anything greater than 12# of boost. The gains from aftermarket chips come from the WG bleed off being changed to near 100% to give you higher boost and the lower timing which keeps knock retard from occurring and huge amounts of timing being pulled.

Kinda the way I have been tuning:
I am logging my runs with DS.... watching for knock..... if I see no knock... and O2's is above 800mV, I adjust my wastegate a couple of flats (one turn) tighter....which makes boost come up....and as a result....run a little leaner..... make another run.... look for knock.... observe O2's....

my objective is to shoot for max boost I can get away with while keeping the O2's no less than 770.... but usually try and get somewhere just below 800 (slightly rich).... but with no knock

If I am comprehending this.... this is the best I can hope for with the stock chip.....

And if I understand you correctly.... the big benifit from the chips like TT.... they have lower timing.... therefore allowing you to cut the boost up higher than the stock chip. The higher boost makes more power.... even though the timing is less.......

Do I have it? :eek:

Blazer406 said:
Kinda the way I have been tuning:
And if I understand you correctly.... the big benifit from the chips like TT.... they have lower timing.... therefore allowing you to cut the boost up higher than the stock chip. The higher boost makes more power.... even though the timing is less.......

Do I have it? :eek:
That's pretty much it, except for you have to factor in the turbo and type of fuel using. With the stock turbo, you are pretty much done at 21#, just hot air after that..and of course you won't get to the amount of boost with pump gas no alky.
Let say with pure pump gas, the max boost will be around 17#, probably more like 15-16 with no knock on todays gas and around 19 degrees of timing...which will make more power than say 13# and 24 degrees of timing.

With pump gas I try to shoot for O2s in the 790-800 mv range. With C116 and no alky I was shooting for 770s.

I am getting closer to installing my TE61, 60# hi-z's, and my Extender chip..... so this (timing issue) will all go away....but I am going back to the track at least once with my current mods (just put on more stuff last night... and updated my sig).....

Thanks for the input.....

Back