You can type here any text you want

Ever encounter a wolf?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

deezdad

Taking my dog on our daily walk thru trails in the woods I hear a noise in the woods look over 30 feet to my left and see a freaking wolf with gray fur and blue eyes stareing at me. I nearly shit my pants, couldnt beleive it & now reconsidering my route but its beautiful out there...see deer alot and a black bear has been spotted too.

Got plenty of yotes and fox as well a ferel dogs but no wolves. Wait until you walk up on a ferel hog and don't have a gun.;)

If it was a wolf and not a coyote you are lucky. They are no joke and with out a gun you are in trouble.
So is your dog. A wolf is a big animal.

D

Thought the thing was gonna have me and my beagle mix for dinner Charlie..gun is a good idea gonna have to do something for protection out there hell if that thing had rabies it woulda bit my head off..the problem here in mass is its an act of congress to be able to carry n if caught illegally carrying would probly end up doing time...ferel dogs im gonna have to do some googling

We get a lot of ferel animals out here in the country. Famers have gone out of business and sadly the hogs have been let loose in some cases. Most hogs aren't afraid of humans if they've been loose for a year or 2 but if they've been out in the wild even 3 months hogs will grow tusks as well as hair. Dogs are even worse since they were used to human contact and now have been on their own. The will attack animals and humans for no reason. A few years ago one of the neighbors longhorns was killed while giving birth. Never got a shot at the dogs that did it but we have shot more than a few dogs that have gotten in with the goats.;)

If it was a wolf and not a coyote you are lucky. They are no joke and with out a gun you are in trouble.
So is your dog. A wolf is a big animal.

D
honestly it could have been a coyote for all i know..im learning the ears are a give away wolves are rounded and coyotes are pointed, was too busy clenching my butt cheeks &9
hoping i was looking at a deer and not a wolf/coyote/hybrid to notice at the time

Neither wolves nor coyotes have blue eyes. Maybe a neighbors Siberian Husky was roaming the woods.

Bryan

Neither wolves nor coyotes have blue eyes. Maybe a neighbors Siberian Husky was roaming the woods.
Bryan

Wolves are usually born with deep blue eyes which lighten and then gradually fade into the adult eye color over the next six to ten weeks. A mature Wolf's eyes are often amber/brown or gold, but also commonly come in hues of brown, gray, yellow, and green. It is interesting to note that puppies are born with blue eyes, while mature Wolves do not retain blue as an eye color. Huskies often have blue eyes, and because of this people think there must be blue eyed Wolves as well, but this isn't true. If you see a Wolf with blue eyes then he or she is likely a Wolf-hybrid and not a full-blooded Wolf.

Got plenty of yotes and fox as well a ferel dogs but no wolves. Wait until you walk up on a ferel hog and don't have a gun.;)

We just took care of 2 hogs.... right in my bud's back yard..
1 was a "small" boar. Weighed 175#.
5 days later, "big daddy" showed up. He scaled 317#.
Both were victims of the 30-06 Remington "meat tenderizer"!:D

The weather is cooling down, acorns and pecans are about to drop. Time to mix up some hog perfume, and get ready to rumble!! [Corn, beer, Gatorade powder, all mixed up w/ some water, and let to "simmer" in the sun.....Yum yum.]o_O

If that wolf was alone, I doubt he would attack. The pack mentality likely told him " do this when I have help". [Kinda like the Chicago gang mentality.]:eek:

The weather is cooling down, acorns and pecans are about to drop. Time to mix up some hog perfume, and get ready to rumble!! [Corn, beer, Gatorade powder, all mixed up w/ some water, and let to "simmer" in the sun.....Yum yum.]o_O

this really work? all kinds of hogs?

We use a mix of strawberry jello and corn left in water. Once it sits in the sun for a week you pour it out on the ground and the smeel will attract them like you wouldn't believe.;)

We just took care of 2 hogs.... right in my bud's back yard..
1 was a "small" boar. Weighed 175#.
5 days later, "big daddy" showed up. He scaled 317#.
Both were victims of the 30-06 Remington "meat tenderizer"!:D

If that wolf was alone, I doubt he would attack. The pack mentality likely told him " do this when I have help". [Kinda like the Chicago gang mentality.]:eek:

What ever will you do with all those pork chops?:cool:

D

Did some research & thinkin evil is right that it was a coyote...tell ya what after walkin these trails for months tryin to be quiet as possible in hopes of encountering deer it was a shock to see a wild dog, whatever it was, stareing me down. Gonna take a club and a camera w me from now on

And living in MA like you do coyotes stay far far away from people from what I've seen.
It was your dog that brought it close to you.
You didn't sneak up on him, he snuck up on you.
Looking for the right opportunity to make a beagle sandwich.

D

Single wolf not as likely to attack as two or more. Hungry pack will eat about anything. Here's one we saw a couple years ago.

image-1456438106.jpg

We have coyotes around Chicago. I have come across a couple, but don't worry too much about them. They generally want nothing to do with people or dogs and are generally pretty small. I would be more worried about a dog.

Typically they avoid humans like Evil said probably caught the scent of the dog and was looking for an easy meal.
The only time I have seen them in the wild was down wind from a distance and that was because they couldn't see smell or hear me.

My neighbor by my shop has a wolf as a pet, had since it was a pup. No barks, just howls all the time.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

IMG00110-20100314-1739.jpg
IMG00113-20100314-1744.jpg

Ran into many living up North. I find the the ones in the south much smaller. My cousin shot an Artic Wolf, it was huge weighed about 175-180 lbs. Wolves use to come into town and eat everyone's dog. My buddy let his pit bull out and when he opened the door in the morning just the skull remained. They usually don't harm people unless they are really hungry. Here's a pic of a buddy's dog that is half wolf.

Attachments

• S4010069.JPG
    S4010069.JPG
    825.5 KB · Views: 86
Back