You can type here any text you want

Ever feel bad about parting out your original TR parts?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cuda6pak

Now that I'm getting close to swapping tranny's, intercoolers, various parts, etc in my 87 GN, it makes me second guess myself about selling the parts to recoup some money from the car. I mean you always hear of the numbers matching muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's and keeping them original or at least having the original parts still stored. I mean basically everything big on my car is stock and I've kept a few of the things that I have swapped out. Whats the future on these cars in 10-15 years?

But then I realize that my car has 173k miles on it (and counting :D ), nothing rare about the few options on it, made the most they ever made in 1987, and is a driver not a show car. So then I feel like I'm not hurting the value of the car in anyway by modding it out and I just keep on going about my business. :smile:

How do you guys feel? It's kinda like these cars are in the "in between" stage of becoming a real classic, so theres still a lot of original examples out there and parts aren't hard too come by. Seems like more people nowadays would hold onto them than in the 60's/70's muscle car era. I almost want to buy an all original low mile example to store away, but whats the fun in that?

You GNX guys are a different story :tongue:

I hold onto whatever I can as far as stock parts. It's tempting to sell them in order to help pay for the upgraded part that you're purchasing, but I've managed to resist.

I would never change my car back to stock unless I really felt it would get me a lot more money from a buyer, but I keep the parts just in case. At one point I would have said it would be fairly easy to go back to stock... but with everything I have on it now, it would be a pain in the ass.

I tend to live for today, happens when you are over 50.:D When I bought my GN it already had the rearend missing as the original owner put a Ford 9" rear in it when it was brand new.:confused: This is exactly the type of GN I was looking for when I bought it. Had less than 5000 miles on it when I bought it and have been modifying it ever since. All my stock stuff has been sold off as I never intended to have this car go back to stock and when I do decide to sell it or if I croak it is the next person's problem if they want to restore it. :biggrin:

I pretty much kept all of my stock parts, but I don't plan on ever changing it back to stock. Too slow. :D Like Mark said, the next guy will get all the parts with the car if he wants to change it back to stock. It's all mute anyways, my GN's a keeper as I don't ever plan on selling it. I'll be buried in it, lol. As for the mileage being an issue for future value, I don't think it will be!! Just take a look at the older muscle cars. The mileage does not matter on them and some of those cars had crazy production numbers close to 100,000 units a year. The 87 GN only had slightly more then 20,000 units and just how many have been wreaked and or parted out?? The 86's will be 25 years old in a couple years so they're more then "in the between stage" of becoming classics. I think the future on these cars will always be positive as even when these cars were new on the showroom floors, people 'knew' they were special and hence that's why you see so many with super low mileage. Now, can ya tell I love these cars...........;)

Ken

I tend to live for today, happens when you are over 50.:D
X2!..:biggrin:

All my stock stuff has been sold off as I never intended to have this car go back to stock and when I do decide to sell it or if I croak it is the next person's problem if they want to restore it. :biggrin:

also X2!...I couldn't care less about a "matching numbers" car...:rolleyes:

Claude. :biggrin:

Back