Ever see upper Balljoints break like this??

I will look around and see what I find
No, I do not use a hammer to install bushings or ball joints. I have a press for that. Does anyone know what height the factory bump stops are? I don’t like how the ones I have do not touch the frame at all unless my Bilsteins have them internally?

Shocks do not have built in bump stops.

well guys, new uppers and lower BJs installed and I noticed the spindle is very tight to turn by hand without tierod's connected. I would think that the spindle would move freely??? Also the upper BJ is at a wicked angle when sus is unloaded.

Attachments

• newbj.jpg
    newbj.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
You need a pic of a stock upper fully drooped to compare the angle on the joint.

I got bored and took one apart for entertainment.... no signs of damage to the upper CA's .

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Last pic on the right, see that "dent" at the bottom?

Does it look like the stud was hitting there?

This one, In the opening, not where the ball would rub.

Attachments

• 5 (1).jpg
    5 (1).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
Good eye, looks like your onto something. even has rub marks

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
I think I figured it out. Look close to this pic and you will see stress cracks where the balljoint shaft was slamming against. Several years ago when I bought these upper control arms I was told that they can go either way. Well not knowingly they were installed backwards and the "alignment" guy did not do camber and cast. Only Toe. So for awhile I was driving it this way and must of put tremendous stress on them due to angle?? And thats why both sides are busted???

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
I tend to believe you've found the culprit.
And,,,, don't go back to the moron that didn't do a real alignment.;)

I think I figured it out. Look close to this pic and you will see stress cracks where the balljoint shaft was slamming against. Several years ago when I bought these upper control arms I was told that they can go either way. Well not knowingly they were installed backwards and the "alignment" guy did not do camber and cast. Only Toe. So for awhile I was driving it this way and must of put tremendous stress on them due to angle?? And thats why both sides are busted???

Bingo. There are your witness marks.

You cannot take those joints to the point where the stud hits the housing in operation. You have two outcomes:

1) They pry themselves out of the housing and separate and you crash
2) They do what yours did, which sucks, but is preferable to a balljoint separation.

I'm glad it was 2 and you didn't crash. Fix the geometry, get it aligned by a monkey with a clue, and enjoy the car.

It also should serve as a lesson. Moog Problem Solvers fail in as safe a manner as possible when exposed to an absolutely ridiculous situation. That's a good thing.

You had me shook up for a while there, while I watch the outcome of this thread. At the first of spring ,I just installed Moog problem solver upper and lower ball joint and control arm bushing. Very please with the outcome. I'm glad everything turned out well for you !!

Thanks guys, and yes I am very lucky I didnt lose control of the gn. It handled really bad and disconnected, trickled home and threw it on the lift. I replaced the entire front suspension as well due to everything being 10 years old. Rockauto charged me $230 shipped for everything. thanks again for the help!