You can type here any text you want

Exhaust backfire

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mister5150

Hello all, I have been viewing this site for sometime however..this is my first post. I recently purchased a 83 t type that was pretty far gone cosmetically. I'm working on this thing every day trying to get it up to par. the motor is sound however I'm having a loud exhaust backfire sometimes after I kill the engine... Does one know the reason for this? additionally I'm having some tranny issues however I will address that in another thread.

The back fire is most likely an rich condition and a hot exhaust issue. If not that then the timing is foo some, but since it only occurs when you kill the engine I'd bet on the rich and exhaust thing. Do you have some sort of scanner to see what's going on with the system?

I currently only own an odb2 scanner I will invest in an OTC soon. It being rich makes sense as I can slightly smell it, for some reason I contributed it to the exhaust being dumped under the doors ( I didn't do it lol) I'm sure you can help me with my next question as I've seen your name all over this site lol...what is good base timing? I'm not sure if this car is set up for Denver's high altitude.

Stock timing should be fine until you get everything else straightened out. So you still have the sticker on the radiator shroud to see where everything is supposed to be on the vacuum diagram? Have you also checked out www.beforeblack.net yet? Rich's site has a ton of info on these cars and it will help you a great deal. :)

Thx for the evap sticker suggestion, it's there but very aged I made out 15 degrees before t.d.c. As far as the beforblack site, I have already read every corner lol thx for the help I have a ton of work ahead of me!

Back