You can type here any text you want

Exhaust - Loud but No Drone. Possible?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SpeedRacerX

Ok, so I've been seeing a lot of threads lately about exhaust systems - loud, quiet, drone, no drone, etc.

My LS-based Pontiac G8 is loud when I want it to be but doesn't drone. Has Kooks headers, high flow cats and a Borla catback. Love the sound and I wish it was louder still, which I can do if I want to.

I realize my GN is not a V8. But I would like people to know she's there. I'd like something loud and mean but without drone.

Is this possible?

Aim for good flow and proper sizing and you'll get a decent sounding exhaust almost by happenstance. If your just going for loud get an electric cutout. I had a loud system on my dodge that barely had any drone but the thing lost all of its torque especially out of a 5.7 v8.

It is possible but its sort of hard to predict. My GN is pretty loud and has almost no drone but unless you get the exact same combo of mufflers and pipe size and shape yours may end up with more drone. I have had the exact same muffler combo on different turbo Buicks with different exhaust and had very different results. I don't have personal expereince with the 4" RJC set up but I have heard it is loud with very little drone and I am sure it is very high qaulity so that might be something to look into.

Sounds like the mufflers are the critical part to preventing the drone? Meaning, the downpipe, exhaust diameter and routing have little to do with drone i.e. 2 1/2", 3", 4", single, double, out the back, out the side, etc.

Probably need to hear various setups at shows or meets because as I learned when shopping for exhaust for the G8, the YouTube videos do the sound no justice at all.

Aim for good flow and proper sizing and you'll get a decent sounding exhaust almost by happenstance. If your just going for loud get an electric cutout. I had a loud system on my dodge that barely had any drone but the thing lost all of its torque especially out of a 5.7 v8.
Cutout is always an option.

It is possible but its sort of hard to predict. My GN is pretty loud and has almost no drone but unless you get the exact same combo of mufflers and pipe size and shape yours may end up with more drone. I have had the exact same muffler combo on different turbo Buicks with different exhaust and had very different results. I don't have personal expereince with the 4" RJC set up but I have heard it is loud with very little drone and I am sure it is very high qaulity so that might be something to look into.
What is your exhaust setup?

Ultraflows will drone, but its at an RPM that is lower than you'll drive the car. I can get mine to drone at 1600-1800 rpm, but a TR is rarely at 1600-1800 RPM -If I manually lock the converter and lug it down I can hit the harmonic make it drone.

If I drive around normally it won't drone.

3 inch downpipe,3 inch pipe straight back over axle,no mufflers or cats. Its is loud but if you want to change it you can put mufflers or cats anywhere along the pipe. Driving down road at 70 its not loud at all,even with tops off but when you stomp it its loud as hell,that plus the turbo singing is music to my ears. PS,your neighbors are gonna hate !!!

I have a 3" RJC downpipe with a pypes race pro exhaust system and to me it's quiet but every time I'm going over a friends house they say they heard me coming from around the block. Not sure what u are looking for but just some input.

I drive with the cutout open. Never close it. Have an electric one but never installed it. I'm young, I've gotten used to it, and my wife doesn't care lol

It does drone though. That horrible V6 drone too lol

Thanks guys. Yes, I am somewhat familiar with the capped Helmholtz chamber as Solo used J-pipes for similar affect on the G8's. Looks like a trombone though. I think Corsa uses this concept within the muffler itself to accomplish the same thing.
I'll keep this in mind. Thank you.

I had a 3" cross flow system and it droned like crazy. I added a little muff in the cat location and no drone with the same loud sound level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I still had a stock set-up, I wouldn't bother with an muffler at all. NO MUFFLER. I would ask Brian Cotton to fabricate a single shot 3.5 inch ALUMINUM exhaust system with 4 inch pipe from just over the axle to the tip. Bad ass. Loud. Light. And of course, polished.

I bet you a million bucks it won't drone. And I bet you it would be cooler then all of your set-ups. The cool factor wins:cool:

Back