You can type here any text you want

Exhaust Manifold: Hex or Allen bolts?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boostian

I'm ordering exhaust manifold bolts from Allen Boltz. For those of you that upgraded to stainless steel ones, did you go Allen or Hex? I would think Allen would give a bit more room to tighten. Also, did anyone use lock washers instead of the ones supplied?

Mine are mixed depending on location , because some are easier with a 12pt. box end wrench than with allen heads .

Did you use lock washers?

Yes , also I have a lift so it's easier to get to all of the bolts for retorqueing after a few heat cycles .

Last edited:
Exhaust manifold? Aluminum heads? I used studs with hex bolts and lock washers. All stainless.

Studding the intake for the exhaust manifolds?

Sorry Boostian, I guess I should limit my midnight postings. I thought you were talking about bolts for the intake manifold. Can't say I've studded the exhaust manifolds but I can't say I wouldn't try it either.

I knew I might re-torque my header nuts from time to time. Also I fabbed up my own headers, so they came on and off a hundred times during the process. I sometimes don't know when that last quarter turn on a bolt is too much. So, I used studs to avoid stripping the threads in the aluminum heads.

These are stock iron heads for now. I was leaning towards stainless Allen bolts and lock washers

These are stock iron heads for now. I was leaning towards stainless Allen bolts and lock washers

Oh. Also I forgot. You may not be able to use studs anyway if you still have the factory air box. I don't think you could slip the header on and over the studs for removal and install.

Anyone want to chime in on this? It's been a long time since I had a factory set-up. I don't remember.

I'm ordering exhaust manifold bolts from Allen Boltz. For those of you that upgraded to stainless steel ones, did you go Allen or Hex? I would think Allen would give a bit more room to tighten. Also, did anyone use lock washers instead of the ones supplied?

I run my Stainless Allens on my engine. The back PS bolts are tight due to the heater box but the rest of them are just as easy to R&R a the stock bolts.

Is the kit you're looking at the same as the alloyboltz guy on Ebay?

Might want to do some research on his kits. From what I've read his don't fit perfectly and I believe he uses substandard Chinese bolts.

I was going to get some of his bolts back when I was building my 4.1 and the pictures didn't quite match up with what my stock bolts looked like laid out. I did a search and found quite a few posts where people had bought from him and the kits didn't fit. That's why I went to the trouble to build my own kits.

Back