You can type here any text you want

Extender Timing Adjustment Tips

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm heading back to the track Sunday to see if I can best last week's times. I ran 12.2 @ 111.6, but given my mods I think it has a lot more in it. I think my biggest problem is that I had the alky coming on WAY too soon. There were some other minor problems, too, that I hope to resolve.

My question is about adjusting the timing via the T+. I'm running an Extender chip burned for "alky" (98 octane) with 23/21 timing. Last time out, I turned it up to 23/25 and 24 PSI and had no knock (again, drowning in alky). I'm only adjusting the WOT timing. Questions are:

- when does WOT timing "kick in". My TPS was messed up, so I I don't think I was ever really getting to WOT or PE (4.3x max voltage)

- would it do me any good to adjust the base instead or in addition to WOT (I know if I adjust the base, the WOT goes up with it).

- Should I concern myself with MAF adjustments at this point?

TIA,
Jim

Originally posted by turbojimmy
Hi all,

I'm heading back to the track Sunday to see if I can best last week's times. I ran 12.2 @ 111.6, but given my mods I think it has a lot more in it. I think my biggest problem is that I had the alky coming on WAY too soon. There were some other minor problems, too, that I hope to resolve.

My question is about adjusting the timing via the T+. I'm running an Extender chip burned for "alky" (98 octane) with 23/21 timing. Last time out, I turned it up to 23/25 and 24 PSI and had no knock (again, drowning in alky). I'm only adjusting the WOT timing. Questions are:

- when does WOT timing "kick in". My TPS was messed up, so I I don't think I was ever really getting to WOT or PE (4.3x max voltage)

- would it do me any good to adjust the base instead or in addition to WOT (I know if I adjust the base, the WOT goes up with it).

- Should I concern myself with MAF adjustments at this point?

TIA,
Jim

I wish I could remember the cut in point for WOT timing but I think it's somewhere between 3200-3400 rpm, might even be 3500 (assume 3500).

As to what settings to use for BASE and WOT will be dictated a lot by your car and the track (density air) altitude and weather.

When I'm at a high track for example (Las Vegas), I Actually retard the BASE timing by 6º, and then sett the WOT timing for whatever I need to get to my desired 29º WOT timing
I have the same 23/21 chip, soooooo with the above settings that means I have to set the WOT timing "6" that means it's adding back the 3 I took out of BASE (to help spool at the higher altitude), and another 3 to get my up to a total of 29º WOT timing.

There are litterally hundreds of different ways to attack the problem. Takes time and good notes!!!! So you never exceed your maximum safe WOT timing desired.

If I'm at a sea level track for example, I might just leave BASE alone, and set WOT to 3. Setting BASE to 3 and leaving WOT alone might also work the same way, but may not spool as well.

Thanks for the info. Island isn't a high altitude track, so I think I'm okay with just tweaking the WOT setting.

I'm going to run more timing this time around and see if I can get the O2s to drop and/or at least get some knock. If the weather stays as warm it is, the DRs might even stick.

Jim

Back