External engine oil cooler and braided line usage questions.

GNVAIR

My main question is would it be safe to use -8 or -10 standard Aeroquip line and fittings for plumbing my engine oil cooler OR should I be using the teflon lined style OR should I have a hydraulic hose shop make the lines?
What I plan on doing is getting 2 straight 1/2"NPT fittings that screw into the oil filter sandwich adapter then using 2 90° fittings attached to the line. The cooler is the B&M/Trucool unit with 1/2"NPT fittings that will be mounted on the crossbrace in front of the condensor. I would be using the same straight AN style adapters here with 2 more 90° attached to the lines.
Should I route the lines under the radiator support or should I sneak them around the side of the radiator/condensor?
Man, I must be really paranoid :(

Its me again.

I am using -10 standard Aeroquip steel braid hose and fittings between the oil filter/pump and an external cooler. I am using the Long 11" x 11" x 1/5" (B&M) for my engine oil. I routed the lines through holes in the radiator core support next to the radiator, then through a sheet metal radiator shroud I made. The shroud does not allow air coming through the grill to by-pass the radiator.

I am also installing a 180* oil thermostat between the oil cooler and the engine.

I have a aluminum radiator with only one large oil cooler which I am using for my trans fluid. I am using -8 standard Aeroquip steel braid hose to connect the trans oil lines with a Long 11" x 5" x 1.5" (oil/air) cooler mounted next to the engine oil cooler. I also have an inline oil filter for the trans fluid mounted between the trans and air/oil cooler. The trans fluid flows first through the spin-on filter then to the air/oil cooler, then to the water/oil cooler before returning to trans.

I am using stock engine oil system with a Biggy Filter.

No problems with leaks. I did a good job of anchoring all of the hoses. A couple of the mounts need to be revised to provide a cleaner apperance.

I still have a concern about too much power induced oversteer at high speeds!!:eek:

Good hunting this weekend.

Deep Enough

Donald McMullin

A word of caution.
Another local TR owner used steel fittings in the oil cooler adapter & ended up cracking the adapter. He has since used brass fittings. I'm using aluminum fittings.

lines...

I'm using the Aeroquip lines for my trans cooler.

I've thought about putting in another cooler for the oil, but just haven't had the money for it.

As far as how safe or good they are.. they are good enough to use in aircraft.. in NASCAR, Top Fuel...

Just get the correct fittings, a few feet of braided stainless lines and they'll be good forever.

If you need any help assembling them, let me know. If you measure the lengths I can either do them at work, or at Keith's shop.

-12??!! :eek:
Thats friggin huge! I have been snooping around a lot of sites on the net and most recommend -10. Even the factory oil cooler lines are between a -8 and a -10. Any particular reason to run -12 on a stock engine with a stock oil pump?

lines...

for the distance the lines travel, having a over-size line is a waste since it is only going to carry so much volume of fluid anyway...

-12 AN is rought 1" (O.D.)

-10 AN is roughtly 13/16" (O.D.)

- 08 AN is roughly 11/16" (O.D.)

- 06 AN is roughly 1/2" (O.D.) (I used this for my trans cooler lines)

If i was going to replace the stock oil cooler lines, I'd either use -06 or -08

If you want another source of info, or a magazine, goto: www.godmanhiperf.com

Page 48 of the new Summit catalog. Earls Autoflex hose
-4 = 7/32" ID
-6 = 11/32" ID
-8 = 7/16" ID
-10 = 9/16" ID
-12 = 11/16" ID

It still looks to me like -10 would be the way to go on the oil cooler. The trans cooler can be -6 or -8.

Yup I would have to agree with that. :)

Thanks for all the numbers. Time to cut and paste.