Eyesight Issues: Blind in 1 eye & can't see out of the other:

Gary Wells

White turbo Buick trailer park trash

empty.gif
Eyesight issues

i_icon_minipost.gif

About 2 years ago I was advised by an eye that I had advanced Glaucoma & needed to see an eye clinic that specialize in Glaucoma & Cataract surgery in both eyes. Before I could do that I was admitted by my primary doctor to the hospital for toe surgery. Djue to an infection I lost 3 toes & a major portion of the outboard side of my left foot. After 6 days in the hospital I was sent home to receive in home nurse service 7 days a week. My recovery time was exceptional slow due to the location of the remaining wound. It was 8 months before I could get into the eye clinic for the cataract surgery. I lost sight in my dominant right eye & had the surgery done on both eyes. 2 yrs ago for the toe surgery & about a year ago for the cataract surgery. My left eye is now my dominant eye with 20-40 corrected vision& virtually 3 fingers sight with my now non dominant right eye.
As a consequence my peripheral vision along with other characteristics has gone you know where & I am not only having problems with my shooting but with my driving. Due to the fact that my right eye was shot they reduced the power & upped the magnification of my now dominant left eye. My peripheral vision is no longer split in the middle of the center of the eyeballs. When pulling up to a gas pump on the shotgun side of the car it looks like I am right on top of the pump when really I am like 6 feet away & the hose sometimes will not even reach. The vision looking the other way (left) is just the opposite but not quite as bad. Going around corners or tight sweepers is virtually nerve shattering. I did asy my eye surgeon a while back and he said that he thought that it was non correctable. Appreciate any help, counsel, or people having similar issues. I have an eye appointment for new glasses in 3 weeks and I've got to come up with ideas.Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I do the same thing with the pump and never really thought about the reason lol I lost my left eye from cancer about 9 years ago. I just backup and do it again.

My right eye is still in pretty good shape at the moment but it’s not as strong as it used to be.

If one dr says he can’t correct it I would look into a second opinion due to the severity of loosing a second eye.

Wishing you well man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like the pump thing, but I can survive it. I posted it as an example of the severity of the issue.
Normal driving such as sweepers, tight curves, & how far I am away from the curb/dotted line when driving in a straight line is the issue.

I do the same thing with the pump and never really thought about the reason lol I lost my left eye from cancer about 9 years ago. I just backup and do it again.

My right eye is still in pretty good shape at the moment but it’s not as strong as it used to be.

If one dr says he can’t correct it I would look into a second opinion due to the severity of loosing a second eye.

Wishing you well man

Before the cancer what was your dominant eye?
Is your right eye now your dominant eye?
What side is your gas tank door on?
Do you wear contacts or glasses?

Gary, do you have a retina/macula institute in your local area? They have the ability to do retina mapping, and evaluate your options/ and potential for correction. There is laser assisted surgery available also. It sounds like your best bet is a full evaluation. Good luck , and hang in there.

My left eye was dominant and yes now the right is dominant.

I don’t wear contacts or glasses. I should probably wear them but I’m stubborn. I wear them when working with most tools that could shatter or throw sparks.

The gas tank on my wife’s car is on the right side and I always end up ‘6 out or better from the pump thinking I’m right on when pulling up.

My left eye was dominant and yes now the right is dominant.
The gas tank on my wife’s car is on the right side and I always end up ‘6 out or better from the pump thinking I’m right on when pulling up. .....................Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference between your case & mine is very interesting as we lost opposite dominant eyes but we both seem to problems on the same side. I would have thought that they should be the opposite? Evidently it's not my glasses then.
I by accident and not of any of my doing resolved the gas pump issue. The Enterprise Nissan Sentra that I have been driving had a flat. I went to Performance Tire and they told me that it had been plugged and that was what was leaking and that they were not allowed to repair. I took it back to Enterprise and they gave me a Nissan Altima that has the gas pump door on the driver, or left side, where my eyesight issue for distance isn't nearly as bad.

Last edited: