Finally free from wearing eyeglasses!

I started wearing glasses when I was about 10yrs old, wore contacts for 30yrs but went back to glasses. Hearing is a funny thing. Take my 80yr old father for instance, he will have the TV cranked up to 50 along with closed captioning on but can hear a mouse fart, he cannot hear because he has the GD TV too loud. Selective sight and hearing is udder BS yet those old farts think they are getting one over on everyone.

Congratulations. I hope that I have the same results. I have cataract surgery in the right eye coming up in 2 weeks. I have not scheduled the left eye yet. The Doctor has already told me that i will need glasses but as it is now even with my glasses I can't even see a 2.5" black circle on target board at 21 ft.

Congratulations. I hope that I have the same results. I have cataract surgery in the right eye coming up in 2 weeks. I have not scheduled the left eye yet. The Doctor has already told me that i will need glasses but as it is now even with my glasses I can't even see a 2.5" black circle on target board at 21 ft.

Gary, you'll do alright...matter of fact, you will be just amazed! You should need glasses only for close up, if this doctor has decided this with you.

As my cataracts were getting worse, I looked high and low for frames for my contact lenses, but they just don't make them that small.....so I decided to get both eyes done right.....best feeling in the world to wake up every morning and see everything in perfect 20/20 detail!

Have not figured out (yet) how to shoot my guns accurately, as up close, when I aim, the front and rear sights are blurry, but the target is perfect. With +2.50 power glasses, the sights are perfect, but the target is blurry.

Might have to make some type of split lens glasses.....pure plastic on the left, +2.50 on the right......so far, I miss target shooting a lot because of this. Might have to just depend on the laser dot system I have on them.

Let us know how you do, Gary, on your operation....remember, a little scary at first.....make sure they give you something through an IV to relax you.....you DEFINITELY will need this. Relax and do not move.....after you go home with an eye protective cup for one day, the next day will be like being born all over again..

And don't forget to use those eye drops for the time the doctor prescribes for you!

(Jeez, I sound like your Mom!)

Bruce '87 Grand National

Gary, you'll do alright...matter of fact, you will be just amazed! You should need glasses only for close up, if this doctor has decided this with you.

As my cataracts were getting worse, I looked high and low for frames for my contact lenses, but they just don't make them that small.....so I decided to get both eyes done right.....best feeling in the world to wake up every morning and see everything in perfect 20/20 detail!

Have not figured out (yet) how to shoot my guns accurately, as up close, when I aim, the front and rear sights are blurry, but the target is perfect. With +2.50 power glasses, the sights are perfect, but the target is blurry.

Might have to make some type of split lens glasses.....pure plastic on the left, +2.50 on the right......so far, I miss target shooting a lot because of this. Might have to just depend on the laser dot system I have on them.

Let us know how you do, Gary, on your operation....remember, a little scary at first.....make sure they give you something through an IV to relax you.....you DEFINITELY will need this. Relax and do not move.....after you go home with an eye protective cup for one day, the next day will be like being born all over again..

And don't forget to use those eye drops for the time the doctor prescribes for you!

(Jeez, I sound like your Mom!)

Bruce '87 Grand National

Many thanks for the words of encouragement, Bruce.
I.m actually looking forward to it.
My eyes are so bad I can't shoot.

I have glasses and I'm only 26. I've needed them all my life but refused to admit it until I was 18-19. I would like to get the laser surgery but being in the medical equiment industry myself I keep telling myself the longer I wait the better the technology gets. My mother had the surgery and had one eye set for distance and 1 eye set for near. She doesn't need glasses at all for anything. She wore contacts for about a month or two to get her brain to adjust. It did. Human brain is an amazing thing. (in most people)

As for the dick reaming proceedure I pray to God I don't ever have to experience that. You described that experience in far too great of detail and I felt it the entire time.....thanks

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My mother had the surgery and had one eye set for distance and 1 eye set for near. She doesn't need glasses at all for anything. She wore contacts for about a month or two to get her brain to adjust. It did. Human brain is an amazing thing. (in most people)

If she can pull this off that's great. I think it would drive me crazy. I would like to see (no pun intended) some research on this. How many people do this, success rate for adapting, if people can't adapt and have to have surgery again, etc.

It seems like it would play hell with depth perception and that you would really be like just someone with one eye.

Maybe one day someone will invent bi-focal or multi-focus lens implants.

Many thanks for the words of encouragement, Bruce.
I.m actually looking forward to it.
My eyes are so bad I can't shoot.

You're welcome, Gary. I will tell you that you are going to be one happy guy afterwards.........you'll be so eager to get the other eye done it'll drive you crazy. You'll see a beautiful world you've been missing all these years....I, myself, am still in disbelief from my incredible, clear, 20/20 vision.

Only thing for this guy here, who's falling apart like a Yugo, I'll be going in Thursday morning for a shot in my right hip......pain like you wouldn't believe. But at least I can see the needle up close.....all shiny and lethal!

Can't shoot? From which end?:eek:

Let us know you do, Gary......hope you'll be able to contain your excitement.;)

Bruce '87 Grand National

I have glasses and I'm only 26. I've needed them all my life but refused to admit it until I was 18-19. I would like to get the laser surgery but being in the medical equiment industry myself I keep telling myself the longer I wait the better the technology gets. My mother had the surgery and had one eye set for distance and 1 eye set for near. She doesn't need glasses at all for anything. She wore contacts for about a month or two to get her brain to adjust. It did. Human brain is an amazing thing. (in most people)

As for the dick reaming proceedure I pray to God I don't ever have to experience that. You described that experience in far too great of detail and I felt it the entire time.....thanks

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Don't wait for technology to improve too long.....then you'll be able to be buried by a drone from Amazon!

Sorry about the "dick" procedure.......it WAS one hell of a 'dicked up" experience. Just as long as you don't have blood coming out of it, you'll be fine.....believe me, it was something that I lost sleep over. No wet dreams for a month.o_O

You're right about the human brain is an amazing thing...if one had one....like some in Congress.

Bruce '87 Grand National

If she can pull this off that's great. I think it would drive me crazy. I would like to see (no pun intended) some research on this. How many people do this, success rate for adapting, if people can't adapt and have to have surgery again, etc.

It seems like it would play hell with depth perception and that you would really be like just someone with one eye.

They DO have bi-focal and multi-lens implants.....they enable one to see far away, half way and up close.....I was given that option by my eye surgeon, but Medicare did not cover it, and it was way, way too expensive. Even with Medicare coverage for the cataract removal, I still had to pay out of pocket $2,400 for both eyes to the surgeon....Medicare did not cover that option of installing the lenses, just the cataract removal.

If you can afford it, a tri-focal lens is now offered. But VERY expensive.....can't remember how much. Sorry. Too much for me. I needed gas money to get home.

Bruce '87 Grand National

She's had it for several years now and no issues. She didn't have cataracts but just laser vision correction. I think Lasik

They DO have bi-focal and multi-lens implants.....they enable one to see far away, half way and up close.....I was given that option by my eye surgeon, but Medicare did not cover it, and it was way, way too expensive. Even with Medicare coverage for the cataract removal, I still had to pay out of pocket $2,400 for both eyes to the surgeon....Medicare did not cover that option of installing the lenses, just the cataract removal.

If you can afford it, a tri-focal lens is now offered. But VERY expensive.....can't remember how much. Sorry. Too much for me. I needed gas money to get home.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Typical government program. Give the taxpayer who has worked and earned their way the absolute minimum they can. Seems like they should want the repair to be as close to the original as it could get. Shouldn't have to pay a premium to be good as new.

Makes you believe that government death panels might really exist.o_O

I had this done last year May. Had custom lasik procedure done on both eyes. My right eye was under corrected so i can keep reading close up. I'm not going to lie, it did take me few months to get used to it. But now everything is fine. The brain does indeed get used to it. One thing to remember if you are interested in getting lasik done is to go to a doctor that does "custom" lasik, it will cost more but will be way more accurate. Do not go to the places that advertise $299/eye. BTW...I've been wearing glasses/contacts for 33 years and I can't explain how free I feel not having to wear contacts or glasses to see.

You're welcome, Gary. I will tell you that you are going to be one happy guy afterwards.........you'll be so eager to get the other eye done it'll drive you crazy. You'll see a beautiful world you've been missing all these years....I, myself, am still in disbelief from my incredible, clear, 20/20 vision.

Only thing for this guy here, who's falling apart like a Yugo, I'll be going in Thursday morning for a shot in my right hip......pain like you wouldn't believe. But at least I can see the needle up close.....all shiny and lethal!

Can't shoot? From which end?:eek:

Let us know you do, Gary......hope you'll be able to contain your excitement.;)

Bruce '87 Grand National

Many thanks, Bruce. I had both my eyes measured today, so all I have left is the Pre-Op this coming Monday morning & then the actual surgery on my right eye Thurs. I'm pretty sure that I will be happy. & then I will schedule the surgery for the left eye ASAP.

Many thanks, Bruce. I had both my eyes measured today, so all I have left is the Pre-Op this coming Monday morning & then the actual surgery on my right eye Thurs. I'm pretty sure that I will be happy. & then I will schedule the surgery for the left eye ASAP.

You're welcome....please keep me updated, Gary. "Happy" is to weak a word for it.....it'll be AWESOME!

Right now, even though I still have great 20/20 vision, I'm having double vision most of the time from stress due to a nasty family problem brought on by my greedy, selfish brother and his pig. Sorry, there' just no other word to describe her. Got me pretty pissed off.

Seriously, I finally found out that stress, worry, and anger can cause double vision.........and personally I don't see it going away anytime soon.

So, stay happy, Gary.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I had this done last year May. Had custom lasik procedure done on both eyes. My right eye was under corrected so i can keep reading close up. I'm not going to lie, it did take me few months to get used to it. But now everything is fine. The brain does indeed get used to it. One thing to remember if you are interested in getting lasik done is to go to a doctor that does "custom" lasik, it will cost more but will be way more accurate. Do not go to the places that advertise $299/eye. BTW...I've been wearing glasses/contacts for 33 years and I can't explain how free I feel not having to wear contacts or glasses to see.

Jay.....what a BEAUTIFUL GN you've got......what a gorgeous car! The wheels, awesome! The paint, so perfect.
I'm very envious.

Bruce '87 Grand National

All this info is both encouraging and very timely. I am about to schedule cataract surgery on my right eye and to be candid, since I am an RN I am rather afraid of surgery ( most nurses are ) ...... Especially since somebody is going to be cutting on my friggn eyeball. I can't stand the lack,of visual acuity in my right eye, anymore. So I got to bite the bullet.
Reading you guy's favorable experiences and results has convinced me it's time to do it !
And x 2 on Jay's ride... A gorgeous ride, indeed.

You're welcome....please keep me updated, Gary. "Happy" is to weak a word for it.....it'll be AWESOME!

Right now, even though I still have great 20/20 vision, I'm having double vision most of the time from stress due to a nasty family problem brought on by my greedy, selfish brother and his pig. Sorry, there' just no other word to describe her. Got me pretty pissed off.

Seriously, I finally found out that stress, worry, and anger can cause double vision.........and personally I don't see it going away anytime soon.

So, stay happy, Gary.

Bruce '87 Grand National
Bruce:
Surgery was reasonably successful IMHO, but successful in the opinion of the Eye clinic (naturally). it appears that my Claucoma is somewhat advanced and that was causing some of the problems that I thought was the cataracts. I am happy and going to get the left eye done ASAP. They inserted a "stint' at the same time to help the Glaucoma drops that I take. It definitely brightened things up a bit. I am going to get new glasses when I get the left eye done and that should make a improvement. I do see the traffic lights sooner & better than before.
Sorry to hear of family problems. My family's all gone and all I have for family is a brother & sister set of Blue Russian cats.

Bruce:
Surgery was reasonably successful IMHO, but successful in the opinion of the Eye clinic (naturally). it appears that my Claucoma is somewhat advanced and that was causing some of the problems that I thought was the cataracts. I am happy and going to get the left eye done ASAP. They inserted a "stint' at the same time to help the Glaucoma drops that I take. It definitely brightened things up a bit. I am going to get new glasses when I get the left eye done and that should make a improvement. I do see the traffic lights sooner & better than before.
Sorry to hear of family problems. My family's all gone and all I have for family is a brother & sister set of Blue Russian cats.

Gary, glad it went well with you......I sure hope it'll help with glaucoma......with me, I had a case of astigmatism in both eyes, but my eye surgeon said that the operation "should" cure it....so far, so good. I hope the glaucoma problem can be fixed for you and that the doctor knows how to do it......is it fixable or what? Well, I sure hope so.....

Well, I now feel better that you can see traffic lights sooner and better....guess that's it's now safe to stop in front of you without worry of a rear end collision.

Ah, I'm now embarrassed mentioning family problems....very......I should have just kept my mouth shut...everyone has problems, I'm no different....I don't know why I even mentioned it, just was pretty stressed and pissed off at the moment.

That's sad your family is gone......feel bad for you.....but I know the Blue Russian cats will keep you happy.....cats are my favorite pets....although ours are ones that just show up one day out of the wild then end up winning our hearts.....they are great companions......

Keep me updated on your operation, Gary....it's all very interesting to me....and of course, I wish you well and the best....you are a very good man. Practically famous on here.

Bruce '87 Grand National