You can type here any text you want

Factory replacment speakers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GrndNatnl

Regal of the Dark Order
Has anyone used the "factory replacment speakers" for the rear, like Kirban sells for example? Do they even sound decent?

I need new rear speakers, and I've heard mixed opinions about the 6x9 adapters not fitting well, etc. I'm down with going the easiest route now. I want something easy to install that sounds decent, and can get pretty loud without blowing. Whats the max power those OE replacments can handle? Would I be able to put a 40 watt by 4 channel head unit in there safely? Thanks.

not try'n to flame anyone here!...but...i dont think any head-unit out there is going to supply 40w RMS...altho the manufacture would like you to think it will!...distortion and the lack of clean power is what blows speakers....alll too often people are led to beleive what the AUIDO expet is trying to sell them....i know for a fact that the factory 4X10 10ohm rear speakers will live a long happy life....when properly x over.....if you want a set of stock concertsound 4x10's that are in like new condition...e-mail me $50.00$:cool: joe

6x9"s with the adapter are an easy upgrade & haven't had a single problem on my 2 turbo buicks or the 20+ other g-bods I've installed them in. I always use a bit of double sided tape on the mounting surfaces to keep things from shifting around. Main thing to watch out for is the speaker depth, you can have some interferance probs with the torsion bars.

Doug C.

Originally posted by Joe Tiano
not try'n to flame anyone here!...but...i dont think any head-unit out there is going to supply 40w RMS...altho the manufacture would like you to think it will!...distortion and the lack of clean power is what blows speakers....alll too often people are led to beleive what the AUIDO expet is trying to sell them....i know for a fact that the factory 4X10 10ohm rear speakers will live a long happy life....when properly x over.....

I couldn't agree with you more!...........

Not enough power = distortion = blown drivers!!!!:(

Deck power has always been lacking......."STOP" the insanity......:D ;) :p

True.. true..

So do you know the power handling those replacments have? Do they even sound that good? Or should I just go with a good pair of 6x9's (that will fit) with adapter plates?

And is really bad if speakers are "under-driven", meaning they're designed to handle a certain amount of RMS wattage, and the head unit is rated less? (Since their output is overrated, as you suggest.)

By properly X-ed over, you mean in phase? (+ to + / - to - being correct)

Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to figure out what to do for a decent sound in the GN, before I take it on any road trips. And I'm not real good with all the car audo stuff. Just basics.

Originally posted by GrndNatnl
"So do you know the power handling those replacments have?"

That depends on the brand and model!

"Do they even sound that good?"

That depends on the brand and the listeners ears, what sounds good to one person may or may not sound good to the other. You also have to take in account the vehicles acoustical environments which vary car to car. Most of the time, you will not know how the driver is going to sound until it is installed into the vehicle in the proper parameters.

"Or should I just go with a good pair of 6x9's (that will fit) with adapter plates?"

Me personally, I would go with a good set of 6 X 9s that will fit with an adapter plus you will have much more to choose from on 6 X 9s than you will 4 X 10s so thatndesision is entirely up to you.

"By properly X-ed over, you mean in phase? (+ to + / - to - being correct)"

No, that would be proper phasing! :) x-over means the frequency that the driver is designed to play. I.E. " 40 hertz to 100 hertz " for "X" brand subwoofer. Now a tweeter is not designed to play at that range so proper x-over points are critical to the performance of any driver.
:)

Gotcha. Thanks for the help! I'm probably going to look around for some 6x9's. I'll measure my clearance, and find a speaker setup that fits properly.

Only thing is, if I install a regular sized head unit, I have to block off that empty space underneath, where the GM units are larger. Or find one of those kits that neatly sections it off, and basically turns it into a little storage compartment.

Originally posted by GrndNatnl
Only thing is, if I install a regular sized head unit, I have to block off that empty space underneath, where the GM units are larger. Or find one of those kits that neatly sections it off, and basically turns it into a little storage compartment.

They offer many mounting kits for the 1 din head units. I personally like the ones that center the head unit with the "flush" mounting face, it maintains a cleaner look with the aftermarket 1 din head units. Just my .03 cents! :)

Back