factory to ta-49

buickshake87

Now only getting 12lbs of boost now and doesn't seem like the pull is the same.. everything is factory except new turbo... please help for more power.. feels like its got more but won't unleash... I want the POWWAAARRRRR

Is your wastegate arm a stock non-adjustable one or has it been modified so that it can be shortened or lengthened? 12 lbs boost PSI with a stock turbo vs TA49 at same boost level will really feel the same. The TA49 has it's benefits over the stocker at 18-20 PSI and up to about 24/25 PSI. Are you running the correct Y hoses and WG solenoid or a diff set up?

Please list your mods in this thread on in your signature for others to help you out.

Its the factory controller for waste gate non-adjustable. I've heard more fuel pressure or bigger injectors, just don't have the budget yet for many upgrades. Also, fuel pump is stock. This turbo is night and day difference from my factory. Doesn't spool very fast at all. Old turbo would be at 15+ at about 70% throttle. This one feels much more firm though. We did fix lots of vacuum leaks as we installed the new turbo. Just wondering why I'm not getting the boost buildup quick like before. U could really feel it pull with old turbo. This one feels like its almost slower now.

I've heard more fuel pressure or bigger injectors, just don't have the budget yet for many upgrades. Also, fuel pump is stock. This turbo is night and day difference from my factory. Doesn't spool very fast at all. Old turbo would be at 15+ at about 70% throttle. This one feels much more firm though. We did fix lots of vacuum leaks as we installed the new turbo. Just wondering why I'm not getting the boost buildup quick like before. U could really feel it pull with old turbo. This one feels like its almost slower now.
sounds like a recipe for disaster...find a local member to help with the car

What part on TN are you in ? Im no expert but I can help you out some stock these cars only run around 13psi much more then that and you are going to have fuel problems any way you dont want that head gaskets are a pain to change out. I wouldnt turn up the boost to much on a stock fuel sytem.
There are a few other things you need to look at for spool up . Short list vacume routing for turbo & cracked headers.
Before you start adding boost you need to get your fuel system up to speed this means a good pump and hot wire kit at vary least and injectors and a chip. It will be the best $500 you will spend on the car.

you are lucky your only getting 12psi.you will need a fuel pump,a restalled converter for the ta49,bigger injectors,and either an alky kit or race gas to supply additional fuel and octane for boost levels where good power can be made,a chip to match,and a scanmaster to monitor.you will not make power and most likely cause engine damage without the above,unless you keep the boost way down like you have it.

Sweet, and thank you guys. I've heard the same from the local guys last night when I saw them. I'm sure you can understand my wanting second opinions before I start spend my little budget money. Haha. Just wanna make sure she's right though so if I do get in it, I don't blow something that could have been prevented with a little research.

Sweet, and thank you guys. I've heard the same from the local guys last night when I saw them. I'm sure you can understand my wanting second opinions before I start spend my little budget money. Haha. Just wanna make sure she's right though so if I do get in it, I don't blow something that could have been prevented with a little research. Oh and what fuel pumps are you guys mentioning? And injector size?

What part of TN are you in I have a new WB pump for sale Im not going to use.

You either have a major exhaust leak, WG puck not sealing, or vacuum leaks yet.

I have a TA49 & it spools crazy fast and this is with a stock D5 converter. You DO NOT need a looser converter. Spend your money on other upgrades.... fuel,chip,scanmaster, etc.

In his other post on this he says he has a persicion housing not a garet so he may have some lag.

Sounds like you got the Y vacuum connection reversed upon installation...and if that's the case...you won't go over 10-12 PSI of boost. The Precision housing is larger...and will have some lag compared to the Garrett.