You can type here any text you want

Failed Cometic

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jpratt

Under high boost I was starting to get a popping noise like a machine gun, no knock though. I re-torqued head stud but the noise was still there. Not wanting to pull engine out in the middle of season I just lowered the boost a little. Well the popping came back and no matter how low I lowered the boost the popping was still there. So today i pulled the engine and everything looks okay except the Cometic head gasket ion the passenger side.

The bottom 2 layers have separated kinda like a fire ring. What could be the cause and more importantly what do I do to fix and not let it happen again?

Attachments

• DSC_5331.jpg
    DSC_5331.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 275
I am getting the same noise. I haven't tore mine down yet. I know what hurt mine, my 2nd fuel pump didn't kick on my very first time out, AFR's went to 12.7, I let out after the 1/8. I wasn't seeing any KR, but that doesn't mean it isn't detonating.
Are you running a wideband? On my car, .81x to .83's are safe narrowband readings, mid 700's is lean (comparing to my wideband).

Head is still lifting and compression is burning out the gasket. KR or not its hurting it as the gasket plainly shows. Not enough octane, too much timing, not enough alky flow, or poor tune will do it.

Back