Failed Safety Inspection...where to get parts ---

alwayscode390

Hey Guys ... I went for my safety inspection the other day and it failed on a couple little things.

Firstoff I need a right front ball joint. The car drives great and I cant hear or feel anything, but if it needs fixed thats fine. Can I just get a replacement from Autozone or are there better solutions out there?

Then, I am running a catless exhaust, so I need to get a cat. Do these exhausts just take 1 cat? Are the stock pipes 2 3/4" ?

I want to get the parts myself, then bring them to the shop. I just prefer it that way.

Thanks a ton :) ---

Ball joint. Yes you can get them at the parts store. Get the Moog problem solver ones. I think I got mine at Oreilly's. I recommend replacing both sides.
They have a ball joint installation tool and looks like a big "c" clamp so you can install the ball joints yourself.

For the cat converter, I have a Magnaflow (really a carsound cat) stock replacement. Stock is 2-1/2" diameter. You need the adapter plate (4 bolted plate that was on the end of the stock cat that has the flare fitting to the cat back) You might have this on your test pipe. Here is the link. It is for a grand national.

MagnaFlow 93439 - MagnaFlow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters

I tried a catco cat before the magnaflow and couldn't pass the sniff test. The magnaflow passes with flyin colors

Have fun.
James

Hey Guys ... I went for my safety inspection the other day and it failed on a couple little things.

Firstoff I need a right front ball joint. The car drives great and I cant hear or feel anything, but if it needs fixed thats fine. Can I just get a replacement from Autozone or are there better solutions out there?

Then, I am running a catless exhaust, so I need to get a cat. Do these exhausts just take 1 cat? Are the stock pipes 2 3/4" ?

I want to get the parts myself, then bring them to the shop. I just prefer it that way.

Thanks a ton :) ---

What state do you live in?? Here in Ohio, the TTA falls under the "collectors vehicle" category, no need for inspection (known here as E-check), therefore, no cat is fine for me. See if your state has something similar. Also, here in Ohio, a "Historical vehicle" is one 25+ years old, again, not subject to local/state inspections. (If I'm not mistaken) some states consider 20+ years historical, doesn't hurt to check, register it once for collector/historical, renew it yearly in the mail and be done with it, no fooling around with inspections, that way you wouldn't need to put cat back on and (possibly) alter tune to simply pass a 30 minute inspection every year.

Thank you both very much for the great advice.

I am in Missouri.

I was going to ask about doing both b.joints at once or not ... so I appreciate that info.

I am looking for a 2 1/2" in, 2 1/2" out cat with the 4 bolt adapter plate right? I will crawl under the car to see if I have a test pipe installed. :) ---

rockauto.com sells lots of parts, and seems to have some of the best prices out there... take a look

So far I have AutoZone telling me the pipe is 2 1/4" ... the guy above linking me to a 2 1/2" in 3" out pipe ... and a guy on another forum telling me its 2 3/4" hahah.

Can someone tell me what size the stock cat/pipe is so I can order one to bring to the shop? Thanks :) ---

If you order the magnaflow one on the link provided, IF your car still has the stock TTA downpipe and flex pipe, I guarantee it will fit. The new cat is flared at the end to fit over the stock diameter pipe.
You will need the four bolt flange adapter to bolt on the cat back exhaust.
Later,
James