falling flat on my face at high boost

Well if you personally guarantee its valve springs, and give me the money for it if I get them done and it turns out those weren't the problem then yes ill do it. I'm sorry I'm not made out of money pal. I need a couple paychecks first before I go into anything major.

Valve springs are not that expensive. They are around $40 shipped from Summit. A set of valve cover gaskets and the springs are pretty much all you need.

COMP Cams 980-12 - COMP Cams Valve Springs – SummitRacing.com

Save some money and get the scan tool. Do not push the limits or it W I L L cost you money!!!!

Take a few days and search and read the threads involving liv4gns. You will see what happens when someone does not heed the warnings of the elders of this forum.

Quick question, why would valve springs cause this to happen?

Short answer......valve float. Weak springs cause the lifters to lose contact with the camshaft at high RPMs, which in turn holds the valves open when they should not be.

Short answer......valve float. Weak springs cause the lifters to lose contact with the camshaft at high RPMs, which in turn holds the valves open when they should not be.

Thanks for the help man. I really appreciate it. Ill be picking up those valve springs asap and a scantool too. And thanks for the quick replies and the good explanations.

The scan tool will give you information to rule out other things causing your issues. You WILL need a scan tool, you MAY need valve springs. Get the tool first and then the springs if money is that tight.

Well if you personally guarantee its valve springs, and give me the money for it if I get them done and it turns out those weren't the problem then yes ill do it. I'm sorry I'm not made out of money pal. I need a couple paychecks first before I go into anything major.

I never said anything about valve springs.... my money's on the fuel pump.... and the test for it is free.... ANY mechanic has a fp gage/hose.... worn out/floating valve springs will just make it kinda' run out of power at high rpm(for these cars.... say 5000 rpm :rolleyes: ), at which point they are pretty much out of power anyway.... not really the symptoms you describe... a stock-ish car popping/backfireing/coughing/farting/studdering when the boost hits good is either the fuel pump or the coil pack 99% of the time... and none of us are made of money... 'pal'.... and I am (was?) just trying to help you.... :confused:

I never said anything about valve springs.... my money's on the fuel pump.... and the test for it is free.... ANY mechanic has a fp gage/hose.... worn out/floating valve springs will just make it kinda' run out of power at high rpm(for these cars.... say 5000 rpm :rolleyes: ), at which point they are pretty much out of power anyway.... not really the symptoms you describe... a stock-ish car popping/backfireing/coughing/farting/studdering when the boost hits good is either the fuel pump or the coil pack 99% of the time... and none of us are made of money... 'pal'.... and I am (was?) just trying to help you.... :confused:

I wasn't aware rolling your eyes and saying gee I wonder what's wrong was helping. If you had of said what you did in your second post in the first one I would have been far less abrupt. But seeing as your second post was helpful. I appologise for my previous post.

No need to apologize.... I was being a bit of an ass out of frustration. We've seen this exact same problem a million times.... and we've all experienced it... and know what the cause usually is.... it's frustrating when you want someone to do a simple little test (see post #3 and #5), and they don't/won't, continue beating on the car, risking major damage, and get back on here continuing to ask what could be wrong.... so I apologize for being sarcastic... do the fuel pump test, and if that turns out to not be the problem, we can go from there.... :)

Fuel pressure test will be done today or tommorow. The ac compressor went and seized so its being replaced but once that's done we can test fuel pressure. and i just got my check and i still cant afford a scanmaster right now. i honestly have no clue where my head was at, but i definitely should have done that fuel pressure test 2 weeks ago.

Its nor fixed. I still don't know what it is. I can't afford to go into valve springs. But I do have more info. Its backfiring in the exhaust manifold. And its lack of fuel which is the problem.

Maybe a wiped cam lobe. Cut open your filter and check for metal.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

the supplier sent them the wrong a/c pump so i get it back tommorow and ill let you know how the fuel pressure test went.

The car is fixed. and i kid you not. it was the freaking spark plugs. we tested them. made sure they were gapped properly. it was the first thing i did. but once we changed them the problem is gone. i cant believe it was that damn simple.

How much boost is high boost:redface:
12, 15, 18, 20, 25? Do you even know?

Plugs may have gone bad from detonating it :eek:

The car is fixed. and i kid you not. it was the freaking spark plugs. we tested them. made sure they were gapped properly. it was the first thing i did. but once we changed them the problem is gone. i cant believe it was that damn simple.

glad you fixed it lol told ya so:p . man its good feeling to get that behind ya i bet

check your plugs.mine just did the same thing. drove home and shut it off everything fine get in the next day and once i get to 3000 rpm sputter.plugs fixed mine

good call....:eek: :D

Always the simple things. Mine was falling on its face and every time I would think "maybe its the plugs" something else would go wrong and make me think it was the culprit.

Finally got around to yanking the plugs and found this.

Plug6.jpg

Same deal as you, no more problem, now maybe the car will run what I built it to run. :)

Oh, and I know what caused it but to be sure I will be changing out my plugs again soon.

I had exactly the same problem, ran ok as long as you didn't really stomp it, but as soon as it made high boost, it was a cough and like you ran into a curb. Plug wires in my case. New wires, like a new car.

Always the simple things. Mine was falling on its face and every time I would think "maybe its the plugs" something else would go wrong and make me think it was the culprit.

Finally got around to yanking the plugs and found this.

Plug6.jpg

Same deal as you, no more problem, now maybe the car will run what I built it to run. :)

Oh, and I know what caused it but to be sure I will be changing out my plugs again soon.

New plugs never hurt anyone.

And they changed my wires too so that could've been it I suppose.