Fan Problems?need advice

what do you mean?, ground is in the engine harness connector, How do you jumper the relay?

what do you mean?, ground is in the engine harness connector, How do you jumper the relay?

maybe this will do a better job explaining

Attachments

• cooling_fan_circuit.jpg
    cooling_fan_circuit.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 114
Have you checked to see if you have 12v coming from the fusible link? It feeds all three fan related relays for the fan load side of the relay? If you check the high speed relay you will need to see if you have 12v on terminal 1 as indicated by the wiring diagram provided by turbo89.

I have 12V at the high fan delay relay plug. Question does any of the A/C sensors effect the fan operation. My A/C doesn't work. Why doesn't fan turn on from the ac pressure switch plug when I put a wire on the pins & the other end to ground?. what fuse's control the ac pressure switch plug?here's pics of the fan wires

Attachments

• 20171016_163822.jpg
    20171016_163822.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • 20171016_163834.jpg
    20171016_163834.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 109
I Fixed my Fan problem, I think it was the FAN CONNECTORS after a very long thread....Reading Vortexbuick troubleshooting, The info testing does help and narrow it down.

-Checked all fuses under the steering wheel/with a test light for power.
-Checked all relay connectors for power/ with a test light or 12 volts with ignition on.
-Fan runs when connected straight to the battery or power directly.
-Disconnected the fan delay relay plugs from the relay and leave it there.
-Replaced old Fan plug & wires with Caspers harness(CONNECTED ALL WIRES TOGETHER, DELETED THE RESISTOR COMPLETELY FROM THE FAN).
-Replaced old Engine Fan harness plug with Caspers
-Reset the chip or disconnect the battery.

After sitting in the driveway at idle when temp rises, fans turned on at high speed at 167*, like its suppose to by the TT chip or (ECM). I'm very glad I figured out this fan issue, after awhile.

Last edited:
Not to mention those engineers installed that circuit on a new radiator. It amazed me how many clogged up stock units are still in cars today.
In the "FWIW" dept...
The 58K rad, in my 87 was NASTY. I think the hillbilly that abused it, used branch water for coolant.:yuck:
I used a sawzall, to cut the tanks off the core. The first 8+ rows of tubes were plugged solid.:rolleyes:

11 years ago I posted the inside of a 70K radiator and it was completely clogged. The top 2 or 3 inches had limited flow and that was it.

Sold the PS tank on ebay and dumped the rest in the scrap metal pile.

11 years ago I posted the inside of a 70K radiator and it was completely clogged. The top 2 or 3 inches had limited flow and that was it.

Sold the PS tank on ebay and dumped the rest in the scrap metal pile.
Do you think it could've been cleaned out at a radiator shop

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Oh, hell no. You can't clean a clogged up flue like that. It would succeed it cleaning out all the holes that were clogged by debris and some solder joints though.

Sorta the same story we've all seen and heard about buying a used car, doing a fresh coolant swap, then the floorboard filling up with coolant because the heater core is now a fountain. :)

This picture was taken over 11 years ago and the car had 76K on the clock.

The radiator is upside down, so this is the top 1/3 AKA 'the cleanest part''.

The car read over 235* in April running 50 or 60... I touched the cap to see if it was a false reading do to steam or if the cap was actually that hot....

This was the answer...
IM001552.jpg

The entire neck came off, cap and all.

This was 11 years ago when the radiator was 'only' 19 years old.

On the up side that spot on my bicep was a 1/2 filled water blister the size of a dollar coin. It looked and felt like a big googly eye. :) I hated when it popped.

Moral of the story, go buy a radiator for an '89 IROC tree fiddy and be done with it. Band aids just don't work in this instance.

Last edited:
A lil bottle of preston radiator cleaner wouldve had that looking brand new lol

Another cause of reduced cooling capacity.. After 1000's of heat/ cool cycles, vibration, rough roads, etc, the integrity of the core solder joints becomes suspect. Corrosion of the external surfaces doesn't help, either.
Even tho there may not be leaks, the heat transfer to the fins is compromised.

Does that 89 iroc radiator have a oil and trans cooler like the factory radiator?

Does that 89 iroc radiator have a oil and trans cooler like the factory radiator?

No, only the trans cooler, which has the fittings on the backside where the stock rad has the engine oil cooler fittings.

Using distilled water eliminates the clogged flues in the radiator. Never use tap water. I get the distilled water from the shop dehumidifier. Even at the grocery store it is only 89 cents a gallon.

Be sure to use a rust preventive: anti-freeze if required, or RMI-25 if in a warm climate.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Im still trying to correct stuff from the previous owner smh. I wish he knew about the distilled water and alot of other stuff

Some thing just time-out. Radiators, valve springs, vacuum hoses, timing set, tires, etc... Neglect really isn't a factor.

Although neglect can certainly speed things up when it comes to a cooling system.