You can type here any text you want

fan stays on after cars off

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

liv4gnz

the car has rigged in 2 single wires for the console gages, one wire on the oil pressure thast runs through the firewall, and one from the coolant temp sensor thats under the throttle body, wheres that wire supposed to go to to tell the car to turn the fan off?

Fan delay relay...big one on D/S fender. Just unplug it, per John Spina.

I dont completely understand your ? There are 2 coolant temp sensors and 3 Fan relays on a turbo car, what exactly is going on? Does the fan stay on forever or for like 10 minutes?Does it cylce on and off while driving as it should?

I got bored over on the vaccum line thread and bounced over here - and as much fun as it might be - I'm not even going to touch this.

If I did - How about - "unplug the fan connector: - or "Hey , you don't need that; it's winter time" - or would I look like a smart a$$? :D

Poor guys - they don't know it - But they throw all those red herrings your way to challenge you - 'The car has chrome bumpers and a hot wire kit for the fuel pump and I recently changed the radiator"

All aftermarket gauges are "rigged in"...Now I haven't seen your wiring to ''gauge" (no pun intended) as to the amount of rigged-in-eness"
But I've seen rigged-in-ennes.
And clean that up if you can.
It's a mess waiting to happen.

Sometimes, if I can't avoid it, I start snip snipping, and pulling crap out...and starting new.
Not that I want to.
But sometimes - that's the only way to remove the rats

sounds like someone wired a switch to ground on the hi fan switch on the manifold

somewhere in the car is a switch , turn it off

unplugging the large fan delay relay will also cut the power to the fan, it is what supplies power to the fan when the key is off , it wont effect the normal operation of the car to leave the fan delay relay disconnected

sounds like someone wired a switch to ground on the hi fan switch on the manifold

somewhere in the car is a switch , turn it off

unplugging the large fan delay relay will also cut the power to the fan, it is what supplies power to the fan when the key is off , it wont effect the normal operation of the car to leave the fan delay relay disconnected

Oh yeah.
I've experienced that first hand.
When they spliced into the relay, with butt slices (No solder / not even a good crimp - wire pulled right out / no shrink wrap) ; only about 1/2' from the tar on the bottom of the relay, but hid the wire in the wire loom.
Looks ok from 10 feet
But it was all garbage.
Took me two days (in the rain) to clean out that tar from the bottom of the relay connector to repair the crappy connectors, then another day to put the wiring back to "orignal / acceptable"

As a Journeyman electrician. I wish some people would stick to carpentry.

being an electrician doesnt qaulify one to work on cars , two different worlds

and whats wrong with carpenters (NJ local 821 carpenter millwright)

LOl..Ok so I hit a raw nerve.
No ill intent.

I was Journeyman INDUSTRIAL electician for many years.
A systems controls designer
An Automation engineer
Now - I'm just a salesman. Dealing with 115kV and above.
Those are only 3 really big wires.

Relax already.
You seem to have an axe to grind with me. I'll have to look at your profile to see your age. You might still be sensitive.
I was just commenting on the hack job / auto electrical jobs I've encountered on TR's over the years.
I know not everyone is qualified to to quality work on auto electrics.
We had a saying back when - 2 wire hook em up - 3 wire f%@! em up.
It takes a whole lot of patience, and more patience, some small fingers, and some decent parts.

Ok - I will now go out to my garage and do something productive.

Poor guy - we hijacked his thread.
All he wanted to know is why his fans were running.

no axe , its all good , just i know some electricians and they dont have a clue on automotive electrical.
and you brought it up

Back