You can type here any text you want

FAST guys help please TIMING ISSUES revisited

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Reggie West

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
OK I want to double check how the timing is controlled with the FAST.

This is a bank to bank unit.

We have set the timing on the crank. Crank is set to fire at 24 ATDC
The cam sensor has been set as well. Same spot.

The crank reference angle is at 10 right now. Car starts well, no misfires.

Now this is what is confusing me. I called a FAST tech and he told me that you do not need the cam or crank sensor wired into the FAST unit. The reason he gave was that because this is a bank to bank unit, it is not really necessary. I agree with him to a point. As far as the injectors are concerned, I understand that it is not needed.

What about timing once the motor is running. Where is the FAST referencing a timing point to calculate when to fire #1 cylinder for instance? Is it the crank sensor or the cam sensor?

I cannot get the physical timing on the crank to match what is on the map in the computer. I shoot it with a timing light and the mark is off. We are going to check this again today and try to get it right.

Any suggestions would be great.

One more thing too. On the timing map if you have 24 degrees in a given cell, is that the total timing? Is the crank reference angle added to what is in the timing cell ? I know that with the DFI, sorry Craig it is the only basis of reference I have here, it was the map plus 6 degrees because of how the crank was set when it was being built. So for instance, 19 on the map plus 6 meant I would have a total of 25 degrees at that point in the map.

What you put in the map is what you should get. BUT for it to work that way the reference angle must indicate where the actual crank pulses occur. In the stock Buick case the crank pulses occur at 10 deg BTDC for each cylinder. The crank pulses are the absolute crankshaft position reference for the ecu, not the cam sensor. The batch fire FAST doesn't need the cam signal.

However the stock Buick DIS coil module DOES need the cam signal, and it still has to occur in the right range, as intended from the factory.

Hope that helps.

TurboTR

Reggie, first thing I would like to know is the part number of the ECU you are using. I already know what your problem is and how to fix it but the story will vary slightly depending on your answer to this question.

Thanks for the reply Craig. I will post it in the morning.

OK Craig the serial number is 01768.

Now we went to a shop to dyno and found out that the serial number on the WBO2 does not match the ECU. So we can not use the WB sensor. We have been told that the unit must go back to FAST to be fixed.

We bought this box from an individual not a dealer. So can we send it to FAST directly or do we have to use a retailer?

Imagine how much of a let down this was to find out we cant even use the WB sensor. What a pisser.

On early units the WBO2 sensor serial number did not match the ECU serial number. On the back of the ECU there will be two serial numbers the last on should match the WBO2 sensor. Now this is only for early units, say 3+ years old, Craig will now better on this subject. The true way to tell is plug everything in and put a laptop on the car connected to the ECU, if the little lambda symbol appears then you are ready to go, if not then you have a problem. By the way I think Craig asked for the part number of the ECU you are using.

OK the part number is 30-122010.

Serial number is 01768 1768

Dealer number is 046

Batchware number is BB446

Firmware Rev. is B2BUNV.D writing is a little tough to read.

Option B2B WB

Date of Manufacture 111600-043001

And last but not least the number written on the WB O2 is 1663.

That is all I have.

From the information that you gave the WBO2 you have will not work with your system. I would contact the person you bought it from and maybe they just made a mistake and gave you the wrong one. Worse case senario is that you have to buy a ney WBO2 system from a FAST dealer. It will come with an option disk that will need to be installed so the ECU recognizes the WBO2.

Reggie,

First thing to do is check to see if the ECU recognizes the O2 sensor as noted above. I agree that by the numbers listed it doesn't look good, but the box is a couple years old. I can't say for sure that the parts you have won't work together.

If they don't, you should contact the guy you bought it from and ask him where the original sensor for this system is. They need to go together.

Craig
I contacted him and he said that was 02 that he recieved with the unit.The box does not recognize the 02. Can I send this back to FAST so it can be made to recognize the 02? or am I going to have to but a new 02? Was there some type of software that came with earlry models?

REG

Back