You can type here any text you want

Fast help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rtviper

Trying to communicate with the Fast from my laptop. I get,cannot locate ECU, on the screen. I have purchased my 3rd USB connector and still get the same response. The help section says make sure you have power to the Fast. I can start the car with the Fast installed but of course it runs terrible with no programn in it yet. My question is Does the fact the car starts indicate there is power to the Fast system? I have the correct com port on my laptop and Fast set up but still will not communicate with the ECU.

Why are you using the USB port? And Yes, if the car starts you're getting power to the FAST.

The newer laptops do not have a serial port so you have to use an adapter. I just got through going back a few years in posts on the problems with using a USB adapter. I should have done this 1st and I would have bought a different EFI system. I already had a new laptop and dont care to buy an older one to be compatible with Fast. I am using windows XP and have worked for 2 days on trying to communicate with the Fast to no avail. I have spent 125 dollars in adapters so far. My PC is a compaq I have worked on the com1 through com4 issues and rebooted over and over and re-installed. No luck? Open to any suggestions

Well, I'm no FAST expert, But I would get an older laptop to run it.I'm runing XP also.
I remember people having problems with the USB adapter.

some USB adaptors are flakey and are not compatable.

heres the part number for the one FAST sells.

USB to serial port adaptor (part# 30-7044)

Doug

call Jack Cotton...when I was at his shop last week he was on the phone ordering some in..form FAST

I have the same problem too.
new laptop and no serial port and xp

Thanks for the response guys. One more thing I noticed The 3 wires from the Fast are red , black and white. The wires on the harness to my laptop are same but the red and black are reversed so I am hooking up red to black and vice versus on the other side. Should the wires be color matched on the two harnesses? The center wire on both is white.

Well thanks to the buick enthusiests like you out there I was able to figure out the problem. I went back a few years to look at previous problems with Fast in the archives. It turns out the harness from fast to the connection cable for the laptop was wired different from each other. This was a problem for many of you years ago and still exists. Let me blow off some steam here. When you pay a couple of thousand for an item you would expect the makers would have learned from past mistakes and solved the problem. I am sure they dont move like a thousand of these units a week so they should be able to make sure the parts are correct especially when the problem was known years ago. I spent a couple of days and an extra 100 bucks for adapters to connect to my laptop and its the same problem they had years ago. Ok I feel better now and thanks for the ones who had this problem before me and posted it on this site.

I am looking for a usb to serial port adapter pretty cheap? How much do you want for one?

Glad to see Duane figured out the problem. As for the serial port to USB, I do carry a specific piece from FAST with the software disc, cost is 46.00 if anyone is in need.
thanks,

Back