You can type here any text you want

FAST vs. Battery Chargers and jump starts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Warp6

Mine since '92
I recently had an issue with my FAST B2B not communicating with my laptop. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/performance-ecm-upgrades/213802-ecu-not-found.htmlAfter countless attemps to connect I gave up and sent the box in. Communication chip was messed up. I'm wondering if my battery charger could be the culprit. The charger I use has 2 settings. 2 amp and 10 amp. There's also a 50 amp starter that I don't use. BTW I have never jump started my car while it has had the FAST system. It has been charged a bunch though. I'm sure unplugging the FAST or the cables would be safest but, does anyone here have any first-hand experience with issues caused by charging and/or jump starting?

I do a lot of tuning for this place local that builds street rods with blown BBC's in them and every car I do has a battery charger hooked up to it and so far, Ive had no failures like you describe.

The RS232 chip on there is a tough one and rarely fails. You are just one of the lucky ones, I guess. Charging and overvoltage issues don't really have much impact on this device on the circuit board. It's just a random failure that happens very infrequently. I think I only had to fix two or three of them ever.

Last year I went through a ton of BS trying to determine what was happening to my DFI system boards.

I had 3 major failure that still are un-explainable other than the boards would fry on the power input side. This could have a no spark issue (thank god) that would hold the injectors on while key was one FULLY OPEN. hydrolocked my motor 3 times - and the only thing that saved it was my luck or lack there of realizing what had happened and not trying to turn the motor over....

I could pull my spark plugs out and the fuel would just POUR out like a facet!

Send the unit back in several times which they repaired for me and finally after the 3rd or so time I insisted on a new unit - probably has not been back since (knock on wood).

The reason I posted this was the first time it occured I too was on a charger, but the tech folks said that was not the problem - I am still leary about using them with the unit. Pehaps there is something there that needs to be looked into a little more.........or maybe I just had a bunch of bad luck.

Back