You can type here any text you want

FAST - Who would you buy from- good tech

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jjvites

I was wondering if you guys where to buy a FAST system today , who would you buy from? Tech support with a good knowledge of Buick GN's "habits" would be a big consideration along with price.
Thinking of getting an XFI system so that it will still be fairly current in 3-5 years from now instead of at the end of the Bank to Bank systems run.
Any pro's or cons to these systems that you guys know of.
Will also post this in the general Tech Forum.

Thanks,
Marty

cotton's performance

jjvites said:
I was wondering if you guys where to buy a FAST system today , who would you buy from? Tech support with a good knowledge of Buick GN's "habits" would be a big consideration along with price.
Thinking of getting an XFI system so that it will still be fairly current in 3-5 years from now instead of at the end of the Bank to Bank systems run.

Thanks,
Marty
cottons great guy and knows what he is doing. best move i ever made was dealing with jack cotton. :D

VERYQUICK6 said:
cottons great guy and knows what he is doing. best move i ever made was dealing with jack cotton. :D
Thanks, just checked out XFI on his site. How did he help you with the set up or use. Any issues with programing?

Another vote for Jack Cotton, we're 3 in this area (montreal) who got ours from him, great support, even when we were at the track on saturdays! (hefty cell phone bills though :p )

Joe lubrant, He is by far the best tuner i have ever dealt with. His tec support and customer service is by far the best i have ever seen. joe goes out of hes way to tune a buick. Hes knowledge is priceless..... Thanks joe again for everything. :) 219 838 5213

jjvites said:

Thanks,
Marty

I don't think he is real up on the fast box but Ken Duttweiler is only about a hour from you in Saticoy. Drive up and talk to him. Josh Deeds at Innovative Turbo is becoming a good tuner in Simi Valley. Of course you have Cal Hartline, Joe Lubrant, Jack Cotton and Job Spetter out of State.

Marty,
You'll find the Buick dealers offer the best support.You can't go wrong with any of the above guys.

FWIW: Jack Baer Racing also sells them. I just got back from tuning one of his customers PSCA cars in Ontario, CA. Give him a call if you need any help.

Cal,

I wish you were at vegas, the drag radial racing was off the hook.
Please tell us about the car you tuned!!! :biggrin:

Again thanks all.
What do you guys hear about "Big Stuff 3"? How do the features compare? Just looking at everything for the purpose of being informed. Reading their web site , I liked the possibility of transmission control.

Marty

What transmission are you trying to control?

John: I tuned on a Red 72 Nova with 3 NOS shots.

HighPSI said:

Sick, I still wish you were in Vegas!!!
It was of the hook!!!

HighPSI said:

Cal,
Friends of mine that are building a 474 stroker motor want the ability to use overdrive on the street/highway. The transmission that they will be using is a 4L60E. Programing the shift points would be a nice bonus for them. I am using a 200R4 in my car, not an electronic transmission as you all know.

Marty

Problem i find with the Big Stuff 3 is There is not as many people with tuning under their belt to help.Trans control would be a plus,BUt F.A.S.T does offer a stand alone trans computer,but it is an additional cost.

jjvites said:
Cal,
Friends of mine that are building a 474 stroker motor want the ability to use overdrive on the street/highway. The transmission that they will be using is a 4L60E. Programing the shift points would be a nice bonus for them. I am using a 200R4 in my car, not an electronic transmission as you all know.

Marty

4L60E is the wrong tranny for that IMO.
The 4L80E is a much stronger tranny with better gear spacing. There's no need for that lame 1st gear that the 60 has. Who needs a 3:1 first gear?.

With the tuning stuff out there, all you need is a junkyard PCM, and you've got all the tranny tuning you need. Just get which PCM matches the tranny you get. www.tunercat.com sells the editing software, and with http://www.moates.net/ emulator called the Ostrich, you can do real time tranny tuning. Plus if it takes a dive, all you need to do is get a spare from Autozone, or most any parts store.

jjvites said:
Again thanks all.
What do you guys hear about "Big Stuff 3"? How do the features compare? Just looking at everything for the purpose of being informed. Reading their web site , I liked the possibility of transmission control.

Marty

I'm putting the Big Stuff 3 on my GN. (I think its better then the f.a.s.t. ,Cheaper too.) I should have it running in a couple of months (if christmas doesn't break me first) I'll let ya'll know how things go. :)

bruce said:
4L60E is the wrong tranny for that IMO.
The 4L80E is a much stronger tranny with better gear spacing. There's no need for that lame 1st gear that the 60 has. Who needs a 3:1 first gear?.

With the tuning stuff out there, all you need is a junkyard PCM, and you've got all the tranny tuning you need. Just get which PCM matches the tranny you get. www.tunercat.com sells the editing software, and with http://www.moates.net/ emulator called the Ostrich, you can do real time tranny tuning. Plus if it takes a dive, all you need to do is get a spare from Autozone, or most any parts store.

Thanks Bruce, I'll pass that on. One guy already put a 4L80E in his '70 Camaro and it works well but he regrets the extra weight as he already has a big block in there plus the fit needed some surgery. Previous to this he had a 700 which he broke 3 times and thats why he went to the 80.

BAGN said:
I'm putting the Big Stuff 3 on my GN. (I think its better then the f.a.s.t. ,Cheaper too.) I should have it running in a couple of months (if christmas doesn't break me first) I'll let ya'll know how things go. :)

BAGN,
Yes, please let us know. Did you have a FAST previous to this so that you can compare?
Yea Christmas is almost here. Let the credit cards fly. :rolleyes:

We have experience with both FAST (XFI) and BigStuff3, in fact Cal & I both worked with FAST on the development of the XFI for the buicks. Both are good units internal data logging is nice with the BS3 , The XFI tunes just like the old FAST unit but with more options, but if you are using a trans controler the BigStuff3 is the bigger bang for the buck.

Back