You can type here any text you want

FAST XFI MSD Dist Setup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

newbuick6

Can anyone tell me with the following setup how to align and correctly setup the MSD 8551 Distributor? seems like i do not have the timing correct. what i need to know is do i install the dist to point towards #1 Cyl? i assume yes...
Do i line up the magnet on the crank trigger with one of the fins?
do i need to use a timing light and at what degree to lock down the dist? hope someone can help and thank you in advance....:confused:

272 ci -
GT47 88 .96 Turbine
-small liquid to air intercooler,
-Power Glide 4000 stall
-160lb injectors
-Weldon Pump
-Converted Carb Intake
-Stage II Heads
-Solid Roller Duttweiler Cam
Crank Trigger
MSD HVC Coil

You should have a help/installation/set-up instruction CD. There is a section on setting the timing. (Section 6.2.1.1) A little confusing at first, but it works. I had to read it 3 times before I figured out what they were trying to accomplish.

i did see that and will try that setup. should i also follow the crank trigger setup as well under 6.2.1.1?

If you are using a crank trigger:
Center the pickup on one of the magnets in the trigger wheel. Now, roll the motor to wherever you plan
to run your ignition timing at the RPM where your engine produces the most torque (30 degrees, as an
example). Rotate the distributor until the rotor tip is directly lined up with the #1 spark plug terminal

i did see that and will try that setup. should i also follow the crank trigger setup as well under 6.2.1.1?

If you are using a crank trigger:
Center the pickup on one of the magnets in the trigger wheel. Now, roll the motor to wherever you plan
to run your ignition timing at the RPM where your engine produces the most torque (30 degrees, as an
example). Rotate the distributor until the rotor tip is directly lined up with the #1 spark plug terminal

Yes, if you are using sequential firing of the injectors.

Back