Fastest ET on a Dutt Kneck IC

aperrego

Drunk? I'll Check. :)
What are the fastest times you all have seen on a TR with a stock/Dutt Kneck IC?

Thanks!

My wife's TR went 11.48@117 with it, along with a TA61, 009's, Jim Testa Chip, 10" 3200 stall LU Pat's Conv, Tomka Cold Air Kit, M/T ET streets.

HTH

I went 7.24 at 96 mph 1/8th mile, 1.54 60 ft., pt-51, 009's, thdp, 25# boost, 30,000 mi stock motor. Oh yea the car weighs 3700 lb with driver

If you keep it cool and its not too hot out it should go 10.9's on a ported head motor. A Front Mount will be measurably faster at that point, but it will run it on a cold day with a big turbo and lots of boost.

I went 11.5's@118.3 with a TA49 and a big neck stocker at 23 psi with a stock longblock. I'm pretty confident it would go 11.2's with ported heads at similar boost levels.

So is it really worth it to go to a front mount before you hit low 11's? I was thinking of going with the power stroke but if its not worth it, then why bother?

Originally posted by aperrego
What are the fastest times you all have seen on a TR with a stock/Dutt Kneck IC?

Thanks!
Great thread, I was recently wondering the same thing.

I have the dutt neck , just got the set last week,

I wanted to do the job my self and save $100, I have 2 resources.

A. MIG Welder
B. JB Weld.

Can I do the job with eother of the above?????

Thanks.

If it was me I'd MIG it, and then use a die-grinder to smooth the inside.

I so forgot it was Aluminum...Hard to weld Aluminum, but it can be done...unfortunetly, I don't know the procedure.

You need to have it tig welded.I don't think it is worth the effort though.Jim

The stock intercooler has several strikes against it:

1. Ill fitting. This is a trait shared among all stock location I/Cs.
2. Leaks. These units are 16 years old now.
3. High pressure drop. The cooler is smallish.
4. High delta temperature. The cooler is smallish.
5. Suffers from heat soak. This is a trait shared by all stock location I/Cs.

For these reasons, IMO, putting a Duttweiler neck on is akin to polishing a turd. IMO, the Duttweiler neck was a great "patch" back in the 80's, when there were no other options, but it should have died in the 80's. You should feel no more affection for your stock I/C than you do your stock fuel pump - there is much better to be had today.

Some guys get off on milking the stock stuff. It's a whatever-floats-your-boat thing. Hey, even Red Armstrong broke down and went stage...

:D

$75 for the neck and install kit, $35 to get it welded =+ 4 or so total hours of my time cutting, fitting, cleaning, painting (4 hours that I would normally waste in front of the TV or computer).

Anyone want to trade a front mount for $110 and 4 hours of my labor?

I recently installed a Duttweiler Neck and here were my findings:

1. JB Weld held a Dutt neck on for about 15 minutes of run time and three short bursts to 20psi. It then failed in dramatic fashion.
The neck broke clean off. The neck was prepped similar to a weld prep. Large 45 degree angles were ground onto the neck and intercooler base neck thus forming a V when assembled. New JB weld was purchased, mixed exactly to the instuctions, the surface was ruffed up, all paint removed, and degreased before assembly. Cure times and temperatures were strictly followed. In summary, JB weld is great stuff, but not for Dutt Neck installs. My advice is to find someone with a TIG welder. A local Phoenix shop welded mine on after I cleaned up the JB for $15. So much for trying to do everything yourself...

2. When installing a Dutt neck there is an opportunity to reduce the pressure drop through the stock core. With the neck removed, shine a light inside. The intercooler tubes stick out of the core a good quarter inch on the inlet side of the intercooler. The air must find it's way into the tubes and across the core thus creating turbulence and pressure drop in the process. What I did was cut ten lengths of 3/8 inch OD aluminum tube and JB welded these between the channels that jut into the core. The interface now forms a bellmouth helping the air find it's way through the core. My shop vac water manometer recorded a 50% pressure drop. The trick was getting the tubes inside. I rigged up a yardstick with a big wad of duct tape. After degreasing the inside of the core, I'd take a length of aluminum tube, smear JB on one side, stick the dry side to the tape and using a mag lite, carefully guide the tubing to fit between the raised inlet channels. Do it ten times and then let it sit for a couple of days. Now weld your Dutt neck on. Result is the highest flowing, lowest pressure drop stock core intercooler you can make. Sorry, no track times but the concept is outlined in "Tuning Force Induction Engines" under the intercooling section.

Originally posted by 65turbo413
I recently installed a Duttweiler Neck and here were my findings:

2. When installing a Dutt neck there is an opportunity to reduce the pressure drop through the stock core....

I was going to do something similar to this but was going to cut the end tank off at the weld. Yours is the ultimate in low buck solutions.