You can type here any text you want

Fastest laptop for use with DFI

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTA850

I'm not sure if this has been asked before,(I checked but found nothing)but have read about people having problems with the latop being too fast and an echo mismatch.Now i don't know much about computers but I figure the Sony Vaio I just got will be a bit too fast so I'm looking for one to use with DFI.

So I'm wondering what has worked for you guys as far as the fastest so I know to look for a used one thats that fast or slower.

Thanks,
Steve

I don't know if there is a computer that is too fast or not. I am running a comCRAP, I mean compaq 533MHz with the DOS version of C-Com. I have to do some fiddling with it to make it work but that's because comCRAP decided they were too good to put a serial port in their computer, so I had to get a docking station for it to work. I would hope that the windows version of C-com would elleviate some of my problems, but haven't gotten around to getting it yet (other problems taking my time)....

Derrick

Friend of mine has a 450mhz Dell Inspirion Laptop that won't connect to his DFI.

See now what is the reason that a 533mhz will work but the 450mhz will not work?My Vaio is 850mhz and I'd love to use it but what do I have to do(actually I should probrobly just try it and see what happens)

Steve

I have a 486-25 compaq that won't comunicate with the ecu. I talked to a computer "guru" about this . He told me the dx series have a math chip in them that sometimes will mess with the programming. To be safe you will probably want to get an old 386 or 486-sx . Ebay is a good place to look or a flea market.

I use a 486-66 (I think) Toshiba Satellite with my speed pro.

The only complaint I have is that the battery dies too fast. lol

Good luck.

My laptop runs at 700mghz no problem. However, you must run Win95 or lower. Win 98 system does not recoginize the serial communication from the DFI properly.

There are two fixes 1) partition the hard drive so you can boot up Win 95
2) create a floppy Win98 boot disk to run DOS. Then run calmap from a floppy.

The speed of the laptop processor is irrelavent. The Operating system (Win 98, Win ME or XP will determine whether or not it will communicate with the DFI ECU. I am using a 700Mhz Celeron Dell laptop and it works. The laptop came with Win ME as the operating system. I found that Win 98 and ME both automatically configure the IR, USB and serial ports. This automatic configuration keeps the laptop from using the serial port properly.

I partitioned the hard drive using "Partition Magic" and installed WIN 95 on the Partition. When the machine boots, I can select the operating system I want. Calmap runs perfectly under Win 95 with no communication issues (Echo Mismatch).

I have resolved several communication problems on different laptops using this Win 95 approach.

Try it , I think it will work for you too.

DR

Thanks for the responses-now I think I know what has to be done.I changed to a new Dell laptop-1ghz P3 running XP so I guess I'll have to do the partition to run 95 and I should be set.Now if only I knew anything about computers :(

Steve

Windows Version

I just got my windows version of C-Com and ALL my communication problems with my 533MHz running windows 2000 went away. I was able before to run windows 2000 and get it to work with the DOS version of C-Com but it took some "handi-work" each time I rebooted the computer (but not doing it the windows 95 route). So I personally am loving the windows version of C-Com. A lot more data logging options in it. Yes, it's not as easy to navigate when you have 5 or 6 windows open and trying to remember where things are, but it's easy to get used to.

Derrick

Windows Version

I just got my windows version of C-Com and ALL my communication problems with my 533MHz running windows 2000 went away. I was able before to run windows 2000 and get it to work with the DOS version of C-Com but it took some "handi-work" each time I rebooted the computer (but not doing it the windows 95 route). So I personally am loving the windows version of C-Com. A lot more data logging options in it. Yes, it's not as easy to navigate when you have 5 or 6 windows open and trying to remember where things are, but it's easy to get used to.

Derrick

TAZGN,
Correct me if I'm wrong....but C-com is for FAST and Calmap is for DFI......Right?

Similar communication problems but different software and ECU's?

Dave

Yes, C-com is for FAST and Calmap for DFI.

Originally posted by turbodave231

Correct me if I'm wrong....but C-com is for FAST and Calmap is for DFI......Right?
Similar communication problems but different software and ECU's?
Dave

The computer or CPU speed has nothing to do with the serial port speed. It is set by standard drivers and the BIOS, to the UART or USART that controls your serial and parallel ports. If the computer sets the serial port to 9600 baud, those settings define the tranceiver in and out rates.

It is possible with older software that they wrote software timing loops and routine based on observed time rather that programmed time; these types of code would be affected by CPU speed. More modern and modular code would work with your specific computer's drivers to give standard times and data rates, so you wouldn't have these types of hard-wired or hard-coded problems.

If you're still having problems communicating, check serial port baud rate, parity settings, etc. I use HyperTerminal sometimes for weird connections. Cables are also a problem, since RS232 as a standard for a serial connection is damn loose. You can have the wrong serial cable and all the right SW settings and it still won't work. Especially units or SW that calls for a null modem cable.

Regards,

DeltaT

The problem with win98 and higher automatically configures the ports. What you need to do if you have win 98 reboot in DOS and run the Accel through DOS and it should work with no problems.

I have not played with 2000 Pro or XP to see if the emulated modes will work.

Run either Partition Magic Pro 7 or System Commander then your system will be fine running both XP and win 95

Back