Fastest Pump Gas / Alky Cars (updated 10.07.18)

I went to a th400 because I didnt want to have $3000 in a transmission that is on the verge of dying and needing refreshed every year. I have very little in my th400 and I don't miss the overdrive becsuse of how I use the car.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Couldn't agree MORE!!!!

200 can work but they don't last without lots of $$$$

I pushed a 200 HARD FOR YEARS...... And lots of PARTS........ Went to a 400 and havent had to do anything to it in 3 years!!!

Mine's simple, reverse manual with TCI electric brake and PTC convertor!!!

Last edited:
Well my 200 has been going strong....till the ring gear broke and it hurt the sprang......

But that will happen to a 400 too.......

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Couldn't agree MORE!!!!

200 can work but they don't last without lots of $$$$

I pushed a 200 HARD FOR YEARS...... And lots of PARTS........ Went to a 400 and havent had to do anything to it in 3 years!!!

Mine's simple, reverse manual with TCI electric brake and PTC convertor!!!

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the writing is on the wall. Time to let go of the 2004R and go to the 400.

Any recommendations on who makes best 400's?

Phil Engle

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the writing is on the wall. Time to let go of the 2004R and go to the 400.

Any recommendations on who makes best 400's?

Phil Engle

Mine was built by our local trans shop owner for $300 who is an old school racer. I would have built it but I didn't have the time to mess with it back then. Nothing special, just an ATI transbrake, deep pan and a rebuild kit. I just got a PTC convertor for it but havent installed it yet.

dont forget the cooler restrictor to save your crankshaft thrust bearing and might as well do the case saver

mine is junk with a 129.00 transtar rebuild kit , tci rmvb-Tbrake and a sprag , also added the JW ultrabell and rci trans blanket , stock 200r4 transmission mount sloted out the holes , deeper truck pan , lokar dipstick (should be a locking type)
the one thats going in my ttop is a little fancier with the clutches , griner billet RMVB, case saver ,CSR shield, deep pan , lokar locking dipstick
my choice on shifter is the BM quicksilver that can be installed under stock console plate with a little trim to the plastic and remove front floor mount
youll need a stout driveshaft (1350) and forged pinion yoke on rear is a good idea
and the converter ...
Dusty Bradfords twisted Six PTC 9.5

Last edited:
my last weigh in on the 86 was 3520 tank near full w/driver w telstars -MT 275drag radials and 215/60 fronts ,
its a little lighter on alumastars (-12) slicks (-16) and skinny 185 metric front runners(-10)

Last edited:
My 87 ttop weighed in at 3640 last week with driver ,
stock GN rims (215s 235s) , A/c (working) iron head109 ,stock headers , external DP, pypes exhaust , 2004r ACarr 9" stock driveshaft , stock stock posi rear stock front suspenion , wolfe rear arms and wolfe swaybar , stock glass bumpers w/alum stands , stock brakes -vacuum conversion...and full stock interior power seat/pw wdo/pdl/tilt .full cage with belts,net and swingout door bars

that was last week ...
this week its getting major upgrades... some changes will be heavier, some lighter but in the end i expect to be around 3450 near full tank w/driver

Got to figure out why I'm so heavy..86 Gn, no ttops, pwr windows and locks. 1/4 tank of fuel, glass bumpers, alum driveshaft, Telstar rims. 6" wide front, 10" rear with 295/55's. It weighed 3540 without me in the car. Add 200 for driver.

Got to figure out why I'm so heavy..86 Gn, no ttops, pwr windows and locks. 1/4 tank of fuel, glass bumpers, alum driveshaft, Telstar rims. 6" wide front, 10" rear with 295/55's. It weighed 3540 without me in the car. Add 200 for driver.

1/4 tank of fuel? You need to think about putting some more fuel in it.

Im running on friday hopefully everything works right. Converter was issue last time