Fastest times on a TE-45a

Anything above 30psi is just crazy......(just my opinion):D
Where can you obtain a compressor map for the te45a?? Now I'm curious what the max really is:confused:

-scott wile

max doesn't really matter....it is staying within the efficiency of the turbo.....my guess is somewhere around 30...a well flowing motor would prolly limit your boost to 30 or under anyhow, right Louie?

(that's when you order the 70.........)

Originally posted by azgn
max doesn't really matter....it is staying within the efficiency of the turbo.....my guess is somewhere around 30...a well flowing motor would prolly limit your boost to 30 or under anyhow, right Louie?

(that's when you order the 70.........)

Good point Woody! Orlando has a 3-bolt P-trim 70 turbo now and has run 133mph again but now he only needs 28lbs of boost to do it!:) Also, the most boost he can get out of it is 30lbs and it won't go any faster so he's stepping up to the PT-71 GTQ turbo to see what happens!!!:cool:

"Max efficiency" is what I meant.;) So, 30psi is about it?? Even with the powerstroke I/C and a good flowing motor??

-scott wile

Scott,

I think I come close to helping you understand the potential. I am also running a 3.07 and my car is 250lbs lighter than yours. I am running a TE-63 (Garrett .63 housing) which might be a little less turbo than the TE-45, but with Champion Irons and stock shortblock, I have gone 10.36 @ 131.75. That is with 24.5# and with more injs, the .82 housing and 3-4# more boost, hi-9s should be no problem. I am keeping the boost down because I am only running MSD50s and even with the 3.07s, I have to keep an eye on the RPMs through the traps because of the MPH (stock cam). As such, I have been focusing on the 60' and 1/8-mile to get quicker ETs. I run the .63 because it means .2 or more in the 60' over the .82 (1.45 best vs a 1.69). My philosophy is that you spend almost 2/3 of the ET running the 1/8-mile, so that is where you can make the most improvements in your ET.

Couple of observations with your setup. I would say you have enough stall for the TE-45 but with stock cam and heads, that is an awful big inj and turbo for a stock longblock. Don't know what size tire your run, but I assume you have a non-LU converter and the MPH should get crazy with that turbo so keep an eye on the RPMs through the traps. My car went 10.50 @ 132.3 with the .82 and only 22.5# and over 5500 through the traps, locked up :eek:

scottie - I have to admit that I've been following your build -up for the past 2 years and have been truly impressed. After grenading my SBC, your car and several others is what helped me make my decision to try GN power. So far it has exceeded my expectations.
I know I went a little big on the new combo but after seeing the new TA block in Vegas I decided it would be best to buy once and not have to upgrade later when the stock shortblock decides to let go. I know it's only a matter of time....:rolleyes: Thanx for your input and buy some bigger tires and injs for that thing!!

-scott wile

Scottie,
God daymn a 36??? Thats movin! When did you do this. I've been busy with my new project and I havent had time to go to spinworld. Congrats!

-John

Back in Feb, I drove it up to Reynolds on a Sat, ran it Sun afternoon and drove it home a couple of hours later. I ran a heavy mixture of C16 and it was a tad lazy off the line and went through the traps with less than 1500 on the EGT. I was tempted to turn the boost up some but caution (picture chicken flapping wings) got the better of me being almost 450 miles from home :D :D

I am following Steve Y's tuning advice of running as lean as possible in the 1/8-mile and it seems to be working :eek: 1st time I tried I spun the QTPs for 330' and broke the diff spider gear shaft. Next time the shift governor pin dislodged (probably on the burnout) and the governor weights got twisted and the plastic gear got jammed on the tailshaft gear. Can't wait to see what the 3rd try will bring.

scottie- are you using the t-brake and if so what boost are you launching at??

-scott wile

I use a Stageright t-brake and launch at about 10psi with 26x9x16 QTPs. Working on a low-cost boost controller with ramp because right now I get full boost instantly and blow the tires away.