Fastest times on a TE-45a

given the weight of your vehicle, any times on a TR would be irrelevant.....the TE-45A will support upwards of 700 HP tho

my car weighs 3700 lbs plus, so at the same power level at your weight, high 9's bottom 10's wouldn't be unrealistic

Low 10's/high 9's sound great but I don't think it's gonna happen with the stock unopened bottom end;) I'm thinking if I'm lucky maybe a high 10 without cracking the mains??

-scott wile

You will love that turbo. I like mine, i'm just waiting to get my tranny and converter back and i should run some 10s with it. You won't be disappointed with that turbo.

10.50's without caps or girdle?? For how long?:D I would be more than happy with those times. NHRA is a biatch once you run 9's. I found that out the hard way with the SBC. Have any of you guys noticed that the te-45a is harder to spin by hand than the stock turbo?? Unless mine had alot of wear there is a definate difference between the two....Does that sound right? Yes, 11's on the stock setup with only 1.7 60 fts. It suprised the hell out of me too!!:eek:

-scott wile

'big shaft' style turbo. Lots of people say the 45a is harder to spin by hand. Also it's newer than your stocker, so it's probably still a little tighter

So, it's harder to spin by hand 'cause it's a big shaft? How does the size of the shaft have anything to do with how it spins? It seems to me that big or small the shaft should be irrelevent on how the compressor wheel spins, but then again, what do I know?:) Thanks for the feedback from all. I can't wait to drive this thing with the new mods!!

-scott wile

I'm thinking (could be wrong here) that if you compare . and o there's more friction surface in o
but the reason you use o is because it's stronger, surge and flutter and whatnot is less likely to damage the bigger shaft/bearings. Also, I'm guessing that until you break in the turbo a little, it will be harder to spin than the stocker that you've been using. The wheel is also larger so it'll be harder to start spinning because of inertia. Once it's spinning though, it should be harder to stop.

37psi OMG!!!:eek: Is this turbo really efficient in that range of boost?? Not that I'll ever be able to turn it up that much...but jeez!! I wish I had a girdle:( I need one for my engine too:D

-scott wile

My car went 10.50 at 130 with a TE 45 at 27-28 psi foot braking it.

37 psi :eek:

Chevota

I would have to take a look at the compressor maps to tell if not the turbo is efficient at that pressure. Axial type compressors like ours provide the most amount of compression within one or two stages (i.e. twin turbo) after that the efficiency goes down. You get the most amount of compression per stage but are limited to two stages. At that psi level I would have to say its just blowin hot air and the compressor blades are stalled out. Just random info.:D

-John

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. If you're outside the effiiciency of the turbo than all you are doing is blowin hot air. Sometimes running more boost is not necessarily the right way to go, esp. if we're talking about 37psi.

Re: 86

Originally posted by Wht87T
I'm gonna have to disagree with you. If you're outside the effiiciency of the turbo than all you are doing is blowin hot air. Sometimes running more boost is not necessarily the right way to go, esp. if we're talking about 37psi.

Well Orlando went 10.03 @133mph back in the day with a TE-64 turbo with about 35lbs of boost..... He must have been doing something right! On a side note he tried 40lbs and he didn't go any faster........