You can type here any text you want

Federal Mogul Bearings...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rking

Anyone ever use FM bearings?? Im thinking about using their 6-3755apa in my next build and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this particular bearing, or just their bearings in general...

Ive always used Clevites but this change is due to this FM bearing being a supposed 10% wider?? TIA

There is a FM p/n that's wider but I haven't used them. I don't see it being a bad thing but I wouldn't re-bearing a motor with them unless I did the machine work to get rid of any wear patterns from thinner bearings. FWIW I used clevites in my last build and I'm not worried about it at all. %10 can be a big difference but stock blocks have gone 10's. Food for thought.:cool:

There is a FM p/n that's wider but I haven't used them. I don't see it being a bad thing but I wouldn't re-bearing a motor with them unless I did the machine work to get rid of any wear patterns from thinner bearings. FWIW I used clevites in my last build and I'm not worried about it at all. %10 can be a big difference but stock blocks have gone 10's. Food for thought.:cool:

I may be reading your post wrong, but the bearings I am talking about are 10% wider, not 10% thicker. The wider bearing would give more load bearing surface, and only being 10% wider it doesnt cause any clearance problems. I just thought that the more surface area on the bearing would be better, but I dont have any experience with FM bearings and was seeing if anyone has any definite pros or cons for them...

Sorry, I said wider but I also used "thinner" when I should have said "narrower". My bad. Sorry for the confusion.:redface:

Cory, I used to use those rod bearings some in the past, but they became too hard to get. They worked well, and fit the oem cast cranks w/o needing any chamfering. I've switched to the Clevite bearing since, but am looking at ACL bearings currently.

K.

That number has been changed,there are still plenty availble. I don't have the number with me,but I will look it up later. I have been usuing them with no problems on several mine and customers builds.:biggrin:

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input!

If you can get the new number for me Steve, I would really appreciate it!

I have used FM bearings on SBC in the past with no issues. I am rebuilding my engine now and I have King bearings for the rods and mains and I actually just orderd a set of FM cam bearings this morning. They did not give me a part number over the phone and there was no mention of the bearing being wider. Either way a wider bearing is never bad.

I have used FM bearings on SBC in the past with no issues. I am rebuilding my engine now and I have King bearings for the rods and mains and I actually just orderd a set of FM cam bearings this morning. They did not give me a part number over the phone and there was no mention of the bearing being wider. Either way a wider bearing is never bad.

I know that at one time, they had two different bearings available for the buick, one was the same width as what we are used to, and the one that I mentioned in the first post was also available and 10% wider... I wonder which one you got??

I bought a set of wide FM bearings, but they would not work with a CAT stroker due to the taper on the sides of the rod journal. I ordered a set of narrow FM's from Summit. They drop shipped from the FM warehouse. According to the Summit rep, that was the last set in the warehouse. The wide bearings will work with the stock turbo crank, but I don't see an advantage due to the rolled edges on the crankpin. The crank bearing journal has the same contact area as the narrow bearing. The extra width on the wide bearing rides on air from what I can see.

I know that at one time, they had two different bearings available for the buick, one was the same width as what we are used to, and the one that I mentioned in the first post was also available and 10% wider... I wonder which one you got??

If I do not misunderstand your post you are asking about FM bearings for rods and mains right? Well I used King bearings for my rods and mains and ordered the FM for the cam. They offered two types of bearings for the cam one was for a 14 bolt oil pan and one was for a 20 bolt oil pan. The difeerence between the two bearing was the oil groove, one had it and one did not.

I used FM main/rod bearings on my motor...many...many mid 10 second runs and no problems...haven't taken any off to look at them...oil pressure is still great...35 PSI at idle...55-60 PSI cruising..so why bother...

Rod bearings

I am talking about rod bearings,not cam bearings. The best cam bearing for engines are made by TA performance. Get the teflon coated set. It's about $80. #1 cam bearing gets ate up by the oil groove in flat tappet cams. And if oil bleeds at that spot the rest of the engine will see significantly less oil.

Federal Mogul 1755ap are stock replacements,1755apa are wider. The new number for the wider bearings is 3760A. These bearings come for the series II supercharged engines from the mid 90's. Just tell the store 96 Buick Rivera Supercharged.

ok remember that the original gm bearing is wider than the clevite cb1228 p so this fm bearings a good choice . I would go with a cb1398h on a aftermarket crank and there already chamfered just a hard bearing for a soft cast crank .

Back