You can type here any text you want

Feedback on the new TA front cover.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LC2 ROD

The original LC2 ROD
Looking for some feedback on the new TA made front cover.
Anybody using one or have had trouble with one.
Thanks.
Please post responce in Turbo lounge forum, same question.

Did they design a new one? They were selling modified high-flow covers when I bought one a couple years ago.
Mike

Didn't know they were making their own timing covers?:confused: Anyone have one or have pics of one???

According to the folks at TA that take the phone orders, say that Mike had his own made a few months ago.
I need a new timing cover and trying to decide on a TA or a Earl Brown set up.
Anybody see one?

According to the folks at TA that take the phone orders, say that Mike had his own made a few months ago.
I need a new timing cover and trying to decide on a TA or a Earl Brown set up.
Anybody see one?

No dis-respect to Earl Brown and his mods to the front cover, he does a great job with his documentation, but TA has been doing this for over 20 years, starting with the 455 V-8 cover.:)

The TA cover is machined differently so these mods cannot be accomplished with stock or after market covers. Besides improved oil flow passages, the machining tolerances are MUCH closer for improved flow and pressure, as well as fit.

A few years ago when GM discontinued the Buick 455 timing cover, TA designed an "improved" version, and it has proven to be very successful.

For the last couple years, TA has been machining V-6 covers for parts supplier. Some old "issues" were corrected by TA, and it was quickly realized, that with a little redesign, this could be made into a performance version.

The supplier would not go along with ANY added cost, so TA made the improvements and added this premium V-6 timing cover to their line of engine products.

No one has more knowledge or expertise in the design, fabrication and assembly of Buick timing covers/oil pumps than TA.

So it would be safe to say, the TA covers are by far the BEST available!:D

Dual bolt pattern, fit both.:smile:

Few other neat additions, like screws to keep the external seal from blowing out.

This happened on a friends stage II engine and this was an EXPENSIVE mess.:mad: Happened on one of my engine too, but not at 8000 RPM to trash the engine, just blew out some oil all over.

Feedback like this is what helps TA to build better products.:cool:

No dis-respect to Earl Brown and his mods to the front cover, he does a great job with his documentation, but TA has been doing this for over 20 years, starting with the 455 V-8 cover.:)

The TA cover is machined differently so these mods cannot be accomplished with stock or after market covers. Besides improved oil flow passages, the machining tolerances are MUCH closer for improved flow and pressure, as well as fit.

A few years ago when GM discontinued the Buick 455 timing cover, TA designed an "improved" version, and it has proven to be very successful.

For the last couple years, TA has been machining V-6 covers for parts supplier. Some old "issues" were corrected by TA, and it was quickly realized, that with a little redesign, this could be made into a performance version.

The supplier would not go along with ANY added cost, so TA made the improvements and added this premium V-6 timing cover to their line of engine products.

No one has more knowledge or expertise in the design, fabrication and assembly of Buick timing covers/oil pumps than TA.

So it would be safe to say, the TA covers are by far the BEST available!:D

Since you knew this 20 years ago why didnt you do a write up to help people out like Earl did? I mean at least you could have sent out the info to your own customers of which I am one & helped me out? I guess thats the difference between a business & a guy that just wants to help out the Buick community.

Since you knew this 20 years ago why didnt you do a write up to help people out like Earl did? I mean at least you could have sent out the info to your own customers of which I am one & helped me out? I guess thats the difference between a business & a guy that just wants to help out the Buick community.

If you are directing your comment to me, you owe me an apology. :confused:

Earl was NOT the first one to do a "write up", but his is very good he was able to get it available for anyone interested in a public forum.

These "forums" were not available in late '80's and early '90's.

If you were around in the '90's, the info on how to do the cover modification for improved oiling was discussed many time on the GNTTYPE list IN WRITTING, and in some publications.

In the 1980's I worked with Mike at TA in his garage at his house working on V-8 covers/pump mods.

For years on my web site I have the option of a "built" front cover in the Engine section. I have discussed these "mods" with owners from all over the country [and Canada] personally and by phone. We have shipped many engines and covers to Canada over the years.

Nick is a businessman first so don't take swipes at him.

KenneBell had this stuff in the news letters that they used to put out. That's where I learned about them IN THE EARLY 80's! The boards may be something you consider normal but back then they were'nt around. The evolution of message boards has grown in the 20+ years. Since Nick has worked with TA he has a certain pride about that, which is fine, but I'd personally like to see a test between one of Earls covers fully modified and one of TA's to see if there really is a difference or not. Not looking to prove a "king of the hill" or anything like that, just like to see if there really is a difference in them or not.

I doubt Earl would mind if an independent did the testing but would TA? Doubt that it would happen. Not throwing anything on TA but he has mods that I'm sure he wouldn't want to get out so he can keep them to himself after all.

Its also Nick's fault..

he didn't tell us about the housing crunch, the imigration problems, gas prices inflating, etc, etc

you were around 20 yrs ago weren't you Nick?:D

he didn't tell us about the housing crunch, the imigration problems, gas prices inflating, etc, etc

you were around 20 yrs ago weren't you Nick?:D

Yea Nick, what is the skinny on this, how come you did not let us know this crap, lol

Ron:D

Nick & everone else who jumped in. I was getting the KB newsletters, GS XTRA & Kirban as I started in 88 with my car. I know KB had his oil mod kit & I got one. I dont remeber any Free Info from KB either. Cant say Kirban passed anything along really that wasnt common knowledge. GS Xtra did give out some ideas for us to try. I wasnt reading Buick TType back at the very beginning. They did have lots of Free info & I appreciatte all the have given us over the years. Thats why they get donations from me. I don't remember reading any articles by Nick regarding oil pump mods. Maybe someone can show me one? If in fact Nick did put out a newsletter or such with the oil mods then Nick Please Accept my Apology. The only Free info was GNTType that I know of & everything else you paid to play. Earl is Not in business but gave us all some Great Info & for that I Thank Him! Nothing more & nothing less. Never met or talked to him in person.

As for the Housing comment Grow Up!

Is 99% (or at least a very large percentage) of these mods not covered in the Buick Power Source Manual; along with the Chevy Power, and the Ford Power manuals. I don’t think this has ever been top secret information.

You’ve got to expect that people understand the obvious; but maybe you expect people to expect that you don’t understand the obvious. I haven’t dealt much with Nick (but what I have has been stellar); but the first words out of Jim Bell’s mouth about Buicks was usually; “have you done anything to your oiling system” or “what have you done to your oiling system?” it’s not Nick’s or Jim Bell’s fault that people don’t want to spend money on something as boring as a front cover or an oil pump.

We used a few replacement covers back "in the day" and they were nightmares! Usually because a customer boogered up the housing trying to pry it off without realizing there was another bolt in the filter housing.

The (non GM) covers were purchased from one of the specialty GN vendors and they had alot of issues.

We would usually end up fixing the damaged GM covers and reinstalling.

Sounds like the new era of covers are greatly improved from the descriptions given in this thread! That's great news to me!

Yea Nick, what is the skinny on this, how come you did not let us know this crap, lol

Ron:D

Glad to see a sense of humor is still around. Many times we take our cars, the board and life in general too serious! :biggrin:

Anyway, on another note, my opinion is that the cover Earl does, and the built TA cover would be VERY similar in performance and operation.

Only problem Earl will have is the availability of new factory covers. At that point he can use the TA cover and keep supplying a great product. :)

Back