FI LT1 & Alky

Blowen LT1

I am looking very hard at putting an alky kit on my car...set up is...

355 8:4.1 vortech T-Trim, AFR 210 heads, Comp ex blower cam, ......

I want this car to live with large amounts of boost 15+...goal is to hit 600rwhp+

What kind of alky kit, what do i need, is there any other blowen cars on here...

any info would be great..thx

The majority of the cars on this site are turbo Buicks. tho we have some members with "other" applications.

Read through the posts, and search the section. There is lots of information on this site.

Being a moderator I try and stay impartial to "kits" out and available for your application. Tho my company makes a 4th gen kit fwiw. If you need specific information on it, please contact me off list. And I dont know of any other company making "specific" 4th gen kits.

Now to your question, if the bottom end can handle the power, should be no problem attainining big boost on pump gas. At 15 PSI I hope it makes more than 600 RWHP.

Any specific question, please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Cool. I'm not the only one here with a vette. Mine's a 383 with a s trim. I know most of the stuff is for turbo buicks, are there any key differences between turbo/supercharged setups? I was thinking about having the progressive controller start with about 10 gph at 3psi and top off at about 20 gph at 12psi. Compression is 9.85 to 1.

I'm going to play with it on the dyno, once it's all setup, so I'll have to see what works about right.

what would be a good starting point? I constantly hear about guys and their 15lb nozzles that they flip on at 4psi(!).

Originally posted by qwiketz
what would be a good starting point? I constantly hear about guys and their 15lb nozzles that they flip on at 4psi(!).

Yes but you dont realize we're not running the pump at full boogie at 4 PSI boost. Read into the progressive controllers. It will make more sense then.

Start the pumps at 2-3 volts and have it ramp up to 8-10 volts at full boost. This is how you get away with running a large nozzle at low boost levels.

;)

I've been digging for info on how the progressive controllers work without too much success.

That's exactly what type of info I'd like to find out more about. For instance, what percentage of full flow the pump puts out when it flips on at the starting point.

Also, an adjustable voltage amount at turn on would be ideal for me with my centrigugal setups.

Are there any thread links on here with this type of info so that i can do the research before asking all the questions....?

(I can't help myself not to brag a little......)

My turn on is 2.5 psi....
I run 2 nozzles in tandem, one M-15 and one M-10....(thats 25lb)
Oh,... and....my engine is a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter....

(and I'm thinking I am going to add a third jet soon.... )

I think your 383 cid Vette would love a progressive kit. No one can tell you an exact recipe on how to tune your car with alky. Every car is different. You need to have the ability to adjust fuel, boost, timing, and alky flow. Baby steps. Start with small changes.....you'll be amazed at the difference. ( and how much alky you'll go thru...) Then,... just keep tuning..... and trying new things. See how your car responds. It takes tuning. LOTS OF TUNING. No one I know can throw any type performance enhancer at a engine and have it work perfect out of the box.

The more tuning, the better it gets.

Good luck,

Mark

Mark, I've read several of your posts and they've been very informative. thanks for the input.

When tuning, is your car allways on pump gas...

Where would you start ie: frist pull on the dyno, how much PSI can you run "no alky"

what would be the starting point for timing (min/max)
what would the starting point for the alky be(min/max)
how much are you adding in when you make small changes

Razor i emailed you of line...

thx

The alcohol becomes part of your fuel system. As the boost level rises, you increase the delivery into the motor. This keeps the transition seemless.

As the delivery increases you reduce the amount of fuel your injectors are delivering and let the alcohol make up the rest.

Up the alky, drop the fueling... back and forth. If you can get a pretty healthy flow of alcohol into the motor, the sky is the limit on boost/timing levels you wish to run.

Your starting point on timing, is what your street timing is. Your turnon point generally is dependant on style of system used. With my setup, I recommend a low turnon like 4 PSI.

How much are you adding..You keep increasing knobs on the controller... and watch your AF activity. Then adjust fueling to bring things back in line. Always tune with the car going rich then leaning out to correct.

On an S/C car.. you have a limit on boost. Once your at this limit.. start adding timing. If you encounter "knock" then add alcohol to eliminate the knock. Adding alcohol.. then you go and reduce the fueling some more.

Some of this is like riding a bicycle. Its very hard to tell you how to do it.. beyond placing feet on pedals and getting your balance..

Its not difficult, there is no majic, you'll be amazed how easy... once you start.

The above post is assumming your using one of my systems. If you plan on doing a DIY, then the strategy changes. Since varying amounts can only come from adding nozzles in stages via pressure switches, varying nozzle sizes, varying voltage to pump, etc..